PDA

View Full Version : Pressing in bearings

DGG
11-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm rebuilding my transmission and want to know the best way to press in the new bearings. Thanks.

slowmo
11-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Big ol' fat wooden dowel rod (like for closets) and a rubber mallet...combined with patience. Tappy-tappy-tappy slowly until it's going in evenly.

lumpydog
11-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Use a drift or punch with a clean end that won't damage the bearing. I use a steel hammer with the punch/drift pin and work on a firm surface. The trick is, tap only lightly and move in a circle or in a plus pattern on the edge of the bearing. The hammer only needs to tap lightly as the bearing will only move in small increments and wailing on it will only damage it or make it go off kilter to one side and jam up.

Be patient, it will move slowly. Light taps all around the edges to keep it sliding flat and steady.

o2batsea
11-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I use the old bearing to protect the new one while I pound on it brutally. In many cases a big C clamp will work as a press if you rig it up right. You can also use threaded rod (fat like 1/2-20) as a press with bar stock, washers, sockets, etc. Also have some hardwood stock as noted above. I also have a lot of brass stock that works great...

A little good old fashioned shade tree engineering goes a long way.

Star27buck
11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours.....and some judiciously applied heat on the casing.

mearstrae
11-09-2015, 01:45 PM
If I'm putting a bearing on a shaft I heat the bearing first in a shallow pan of oil. If it goes into a housing I do as Star does and freeze it, or use one of the new Freeze Sprays that's available. Sockets work great as a drift for putting in bearings. On a housing use one that fits loosely to the outside race (so it doesn't get stuck in the housing). A deep wall that loosely fits over the shaft and contacts the inside races neatly installs one onto a shaft. Try to use a soft steel drift, if needed, brass or wood can flake off and cause problems. Be sure the bearing starts straight, then bang it into place.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

DGG
11-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Ok. Great advice. Thank you.