PDA

View Full Version : Series III vs Disco for green-laning

rstl99
11-15-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a reasonably solid Series III (ex-mod) for use around my country property (hauling rocks, wood, junk, and greenlaning on the nearby lanes, logging roads, backroads). The cottage is over an hour highway driving from the city so I don't expect I'll be using the SIII to get there and back (at my age I need some comforts), but leaving it up there spring-fall, and storing it in my city driveway in winter. Use the SIII in a "rolling restoration" kind of way.

There are more "sensible" solutions to a SIII (any older japanese 4x4 will get me there and back in more comfort, be more reliable, and do a decent job of greenlaning up there). But I have had a fondness and desire to own a Series truck again for many years. Be connected to the glorious early history of the marque. Tinker on it as needed. I figure if I look after it I can probably resell it for the same amount (or more) if I get tired of it in a couple of years.

In the LR family, I suppose an older Disco would possibly make more sense, being able to make the driving there and back on the highway in comfort. I know Discos have their issues, and they're not the same as a Series truck obviously. But oddly enough they are cheaper to buy than a decent Series rig.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this part-time vehicle, so Defenders and the like are out of my league.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

rstl99
11-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Put the trigger away because the seller just told me he sold the Series to someone else yesterday while I was out of town.
I'll start the search again in the spring, time to hunker down for the winter now.
I'll look into the Discos, otherwise I may go back to a jap 4x4 (owned several Land cruisers in the past). Reliability is worth something.
Cheers.

JackIIA
11-18-2015, 06:41 PM
I agree on the retention of value thing for a Series v. a Discovery. Discoverys just don't do it for me, so my vote would be for a Series, as well as the benefit of their bolt on functionality. Only downside is parts are getting thinner. Discos have much more readily available no doubt. Still, if these boards are any indication, there are plenty of mods you can do to keep it running. Good luck with your search.

o2batsea
11-19-2015, 05:31 AM
Disco far more comfy to operate. Also has central diff lock so will perform better off road. Better engine, transmission, brakes, climate control, interior. Better wipers too. So if the two were sitting next to each other and you had keys to both, which one would you jump in and drive? There. Question answered.

mearstrae
11-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Since I have one of each I can say that the Disco is better all round (and cheaper to buy used), if more complicated to work on. If I had reason to have a dedicated off road, middle of nowhere, easy to fix vehicle, then the Series III would win. My Series actually has an early Range Rover V-8 engine and LT95 trans, so I have over-drive and center diff lock, and plenty of power. But... not much in creature comforts, it's stiff, cold (unless you want it cold, and then it's hot), and noisy, and many of my parts have to be gotten from across the pond.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

JackIIA
11-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Disco far more comfy to operate. Also has central diff lock so will perform better off road. Better engine, transmission, brakes, climate control, interior. Better wipers too. So if the two were sitting next to each other and you had keys to both, which one would you jump in and drive? There. Question answered.

I'd still take the Series key fob.....but then, I'm a glutton for punishment.

jcoleman
11-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Disco far more comfy to operate. Also has central diff lock so will perform better off road.

Isn't he comparing the Disco to a Series truck?

mearstrae
11-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Up until '99 the Series I Discos had diff lock. My '99 Series II Disco has the guts but not the operating system for it. That problem is easily rectified. Other Disco II's don't even have the guts.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
;76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

jcoleman
11-22-2015, 02:25 AM
Up until '99 the Series I Discos had diff lock. My '99 Series II Disco has the guts but not the operating system for it. That problem is easily rectified. Other Disco II's don't even have the guts.

My point was that (stock) Series trucks, being part-time 4wd, have no t-case differential capability therefore are centrally locked.