PDA

View Full Version : Front Axle Shaft Won't Seat

JackIIA
11-15-2015, 06:40 PM
I can't get the axle shaft to fully seat in the differential (front). I base this on the fact that when I go to install the backing plate and hub, the distance between them and the swivel housing is a good 1".

I've pulled axles before, and this one (the shorter) 'feels' fully seated. As in, it slides in, requires a bit of gentle movement, and then feels like it 'slots' into the diff housing fully.

Out of sheer frustration, I finally gave it a few good knocks with a dead blow hammer. Nothing. Also tried multiple 'retrys' at different spline points (turning differential), and giving the splines some 90WT in case it was a lubrication issue.

The other shaft went in fine. No issues. And I've gotten this shaft in before in this same set up.

Didn't see any posts noting such a problem before....because it seems like an impossible problem to have. They *just* go in.

This has got to be operator error, but I am out of ideas. Anyone run into this before??

Star27buck
11-16-2015, 08:03 AM
If the task was to replace a broken axle, are you sure all of the broken stub has been removed?

JackIIA
11-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Good question, but no. I pulled axles to work on axle housing. Unlikely there could be something in diff., though of course not impossible.

siii8873
11-16-2015, 01:38 PM
I just did this and had same problem. I thought it was engaging but it wasn't. Think I rotated the axle a few different ways and it finally slid in.

JackIIA
11-16-2015, 02:30 PM
I tend to believe that is what is happening to me. I've tried rotating it quite a bit. I've tried different lubricants too. And marked the spline ends (as well as measured where it should seat) and confirmed it is not going all the way in). At the moment it is pretty firmly in there via some wood/hammer. I will probably need to break the whole thing down yet again.