PDA

View Full Version : Points and condensor

cedryck
11-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Cheers Lads,
Typically speaking, how long does a set of points and condenser last before a renew is in order?

TeriAnn
11-20-2015, 09:25 PM
They are not as robust as they used to be so it is always a good ideal to keep a spare set in the truck along with a spare new cap and rotor.

With the points you can tell with a visual inspection. Look for pitting on one point and a mountain on the other. You can file the mountain off the points so you can properly gap them up to a point then they need replacing. The moving points should have a good spring to it. There is no factory recommended mileage schedule for replacing points. Just check and adjust every 4K miles.

When a condenser goes out the spark becomes very weak. Often times the engine will idle OK but will stumble all over itself, like it is running out of fuel when you try to apply power. A weak condenser and a weak coil have the same symptoms. If the coil is not leaking, replace the condenser first since it is the cheapest thing to swap.

I Leak Oil
11-21-2015, 05:28 AM
I adjusted as needed when the truck started running funny but replaced them every 2 years regardless. Then I put in a pertronix unit about 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.

Time isn't the issue, it really depends on how much you drive.

cedryck
11-23-2015, 06:32 AM
Thank you Folks, Terry, my truck is doing exactly what you are describing, weak when gas on, and stumbling, I replaced points but did not have new style condenser with joined black and orange wire, will replace this week when they are shipped from out hosts.