PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Cylinder replaced... Clutch Pedal still not right

seanman
11-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Recently had a Clutch Slave Cylinder go bad on my 1972 Series 3. Clutch would only disengage about the bottom inch of Pedal.

Replaced with new Slave Cylinder, Reverse-Bled the system using an oil pump can... Checked for leaks, everything looks dry. Fluid in Master Cylinder steady, doesn't seem to be dropping (indicating a leak somewhere else)
But my Clutch still only disengages near the very bottom 1/2-1 inch of pedal... What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
-Sean

SafeAirOne
11-22-2015, 06:39 AM
So the original problem is there, despite the new slave.

Things that come to mind:

Air in the system.

Bulging flex line.

Incorrect MC piston rod adjustment (see diagram, below).

Internal MC leakage.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5801/23206591905_99d612feff_o.jpg

seanman
11-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks Mark, I'll look into those. When I took the old Slave Cylinder off, you could see crystalized fluid, so I know there was a leak...Assumed it was my only problem.

And there's no adjustment or anything to be done special with the Slave Pushrod, right? Its not adjustable for a Series 3, correct?

thanks again!
-Sean

SafeAirOne
11-22-2015, 11:03 AM
And there's no adjustment or anything to be done special with the Slave Pushrod, right? Its not adjustable for a Series 3, correct?

Slave? No.

seanman
11-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Took a look at her this morning, looks like the Wing, or the mudshield underneath the wing would have to come off before accessing that master cylinder top cover thing.... So decided to take another look for leaks, didn't see any..... Did notice the fluid level in the master cylinder was lower than last night.... I think some air must have worked its way up through the system overnight. I topped her off, worked the pedal repeatedly, and magically, my pedal went back to normal. Pedal is nice and firm, and smoothly engages the clutch just past 1/2 way up. I'll keep an eye on her to see if the fluid level stays stable now.

I thought it would be strange to have to adjust the pushrod length, when it worked fine before the leak.... They don't self-adjust for clutch wear or anything do they? Aren't they a "set it and forget it" adjustment?

Thanks again!
-Sean

SafeAirOne
11-23-2015, 04:48 AM
Sounds like air in the lines.