X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warrenperkinson
    Low Range
    • Jan 2014

Leaf Spring Bushes

I'm at the stage where I need to replace the leaf spring bushes on my 88" sIIa within the next few months.

I have 2 questions:
    1. I see on the inter web there are instructions on how to make a bush press tool to remove/insert bushes - is a commercial version available at a reasonable cost somewhere?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether to replace with an original rubber bush or a polly bush? I've heard nightmares about squeaking polly bushes. I've also seen you can get a polly bush with a built in grease nipple. Then I've also heard that the original rubber gives a better ride... not sure which way to go...

Cheers,
    Warren.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by warrenperkinson
    1. I see on the inter web there are instructions on how to make a bush press tool to remove/insert bushes - is a commercial version available at a reasonable cost somewhere?
    Depends on your definition of "reasonable": http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog...cka_Tools.html

2. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether to replace with an original rubber bush or a polly bush?
    There are generally 2 pros/cons on this topic: "Quality rubber bushes, properly installed, are more durable than poly bushes" and "rubber bushes are a real PITA to remove/install."

[EDIT:] Just realized the bushwaka tool in the link above is for other bushings, but I believe they make one for series spring bushes too.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• rejeep
      4th Gear
      • Apr 2010

If you can hear the squeak of poly bushings over your engine, exhaust, body rattles, tires, wind, etc you have better hearing than my retriever.

I just did this in my 109 and I'm very happy with the swap.
      1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
      1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• warrenperkinson
        Low Range
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
        Depends on your definition of "reasonable": http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog...cka_Tools.html
        Hmmm... thanks for that, but that does push the boundaries of "reasonable" a bit... I was kind of hoping for something less than $100 - otherwise I'll just make my own.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
        88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
        New Zealand.

Comment

• rejeep
          4th Gear
          • Apr 2010

I used a press for my springs and a sawzal/chisel for the frame bush...
          worked like a charm
          1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
          1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

Working...