PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Spring Bushes

warrenperkinson
12-07-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm at the stage where I need to replace the leaf spring bushes on my 88" sIIa within the next few months.

I have 2 questions:
1. I see on the inter web there are instructions on how to make a bush press tool to remove/insert bushes - is a commercial version available at a reasonable cost somewhere?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether to replace with an original rubber bush or a polly bush? I've heard nightmares about squeaking polly bushes. I've also seen you can get a polly bush with a built in grease nipple. Then I've also heard that the original rubber gives a better ride... not sure which way to go...

Cheers,
Warren.

SafeAirOne
12-07-2015, 05:01 PM
1. I see on the inter web there are instructions on how to make a bush press tool to remove/insert bushes - is a commercial version available at a reasonable cost somewhere?

Depends on your definition of "reasonable": http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Bushwacka_Tools.html

2. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether to replace with an original rubber bush or a polly bush?

There are generally 2 pros/cons on this topic: "Quality rubber bushes, properly installed, are more durable than poly bushes" and "rubber bushes are a real PITA to remove/install."

[EDIT:] Just realized the bushwaka tool in the link above is for other bushings, but I believe they make one for series spring bushes too.

rejeep
12-08-2015, 03:07 PM
If you can hear the squeak of poly bushings over your engine, exhaust, body rattles, tires, wind, etc you have better hearing than my retriever.

I just did this in my 109 and I'm very happy with the swap.

warrenperkinson
12-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Depends on your definition of "reasonable": http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Bushwacka_Tools.html

Hmmm... thanks for that, but that does push the boundaries of "reasonable" a bit... I was kind of hoping for something less than $100 - otherwise I'll just make my own.

rejeep
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM
I used a press for my springs and a sawzal/chisel for the frame bush...
worked like a charm