PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Swivel Housing Advice

DSG85
12-18-2015, 06:57 AM
The driver's side SPH on my landie leaks slightly out of the bottom where the steering arm connects. At first I thought the drain plug was just loose, but I tightened it and that had no effect on the leak. It also doesn't appear to be leaking from the seal around the ball. Based on this exploded view: http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/68 , I think I need to replace the O-ring (part #20 in the diagram). My questions are:
1) Is a bad O-ring likely the cause of my leak? I'm not sure what else it could be based on where the oil is.
2) To replace the O-ring, can I just drain the oil, unbolt the steering arm, drop the stearing arm, replace the O-ring and reassemble?

lumpydog
12-18-2015, 01:57 PM
1) Yes - probably. The O'ring alone won't stop 90Wt usually. It's a good idea to use some sealant like Permatex Rights stuff at the base of the pin... PO probably didn't do that.

2) Probably not. If you pull the steering arm and pin all the way out, the lower bearing will come off the pin and be free to roam about the cabin so-to-speak and will be lost inside the swivel ball housing. You MIGHT be able to get away with draining, then lowering the steering arm under a half inch, degrease it and get some Right Stuff in there - then raise and bolt. The idea being that the lower bearing would stay on the pin if you left it partially in and the right stuff would stop the leak. Worth a try as taking it apart to get the steering arm off is a lot more involved.

DSG85
12-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the advice lumpy.

Can anyone confirm that it is not possible to completely remove the steering arm and reinstall it without completely dissembling everything? It seams like if I supported the hub with something while I remove the steering arm/king pin that I should be able to get it lined up and back together, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.