PDA

View Full Version : Getting the 2A Steering wheel off

SirGeorgeSt
01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
I need to remove the steering wheel from my 1971 2A 88 so I can replace the missing horn dust-cover. I've soaked the spline with a good penetrating oil, but is there a wheel puller that will fit the deep shape of the wheel? There's no room to hammer up on the bottom of the wheel, plus that makes me nervous. SirGeorgeSt

slowmo
01-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Here's a link.

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?16314-Steering-wheel-removal

SirGeorgeSt
01-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks! Lots of useful information there. When I pull and wobble it a lot, I'll wear a hockey mask!

cnfowler
01-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Thanks! Lots of useful information there. When I pull and wobble it a lot, I'll wear a hockey mask!

No need to wear a mask. Just leave the nut threaded on the very end of the shaft. That'll keep the wheel from hitting you.

Colin

64Blue
01-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Or wear one for the fun of it...

SirGeorgeSt
01-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Due to the Great Knowledge available here, the steering wheel is off, cleaned and beautified, the replacement horn dust-cover attached properly,and the wheel re-attached with no forehead bruises.
Here's the NEW Strangeness: I tested the horn button with the positive lead attached to the brass collar, the dust-cover contact leading the positive current into the button as directed. All should be well.
BUT, if I clip onto the steering wheel washer tab as the ground, IT SHORTS OUT. IF I clip onto a ground wire screwed into the bulkhead, the horn beeps as it should. ISN'T A GROUND A GROUND? Why would the steering column cause a short? Any ideas? I am flummoxed.

SirGeorgeSt
02-24-2016, 07:15 PM
The solution turned out to be a (bad) single-tab horn. The casing grounded to the frame, making the horn connections unworkable. Bought a TWO-TAB horn That way, the ground/live connection can be interrupted at will, making the horn button a working reality. Wahoo!

cnfowler
02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Pictures of the 'beautified' wheel, please.

Colin

S11A
02-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Or wear one for the fun of it...

:thumb-up: