PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions for tubular roll cage/soft top frame

learyseamus
01-18-2016, 05:37 AM
Has anyone fabricated a roll cage for an 88. I just bought a 72 my wife will drive occasionally and I want to put a soft top on it, and feel a cage should go on. 😅 I'f someone here has done this, I'd really appreciate some dimensions. Or if someone has a hoop set in the southeast I could buy to pull dimensions from, I'd buy it. Thanks

kb1iaw
01-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Hi Bryan, I had a roll bar built at a local fabrication shop that specializes in custom components for boats, bimini tops and tuna towers as well as architectural products. We designed mine to fit inside the hard top or a soft top if I ever acquire one. It's also placed far enough aft to clear a truck cab. I originally thought a pair of diagonal struts would be needed but the double roll bar bolted to the mating piece below seems to be more than adequate. The roll bar serves as a mounting point for a pair of aftermarket inertia seatbelts and also fits a generic Jeep bikini top. I considered designing it to be integral with a soft top hoop set but soon realized that would preclude using the hardtop. I'd be happy to pull some dimensions off this one if you are interested.

learyseamus
01-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Thanks kb1iaw, I like that it is connected to the frame. I guess I could just pull dimensions inside the hard top. Cheers

Oscar
01-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Do you have pics of how the bar attaches to the frame?

kb1iaw
01-18-2016, 07:29 PM
The second photo shows the curved piece under the rear seat boxes. It bolts to the outrigger and mates with the base of the roll bar. No holes in the tub other than the bolt holes.

Oscar
01-18-2016, 10:31 PM
OK, I think I know what I'm looking at there....