PDA

View Full Version : Defender door seals

slowmo
01-20-2016, 05:34 PM
A couple of folks have recommended Defender Door seals for the Series Rover. How are these seals attached? Are they a good fit out of the box or is monkeying required?

I bought some cheapy seals with non-sticky adhesive and so far notta so happy.

darbsclt
01-20-2016, 08:29 PM
A couple of folks have recommended Defender Door seals for the Series Rover. How are these seals attached? Are they a good fit out of the box or is monkeying required?

Take a look at Ian's "mud4fun" blog HERE (http://mud4fun.com/2013/08/26/fitting-one-piece-door-seals-defender-style-and-truck-cab-seals/). He offers a really nice description of fitting defender style seals.

When you're done with the seals... have fun exploring the rest of his blog, it's great stuff.

TedW
01-22-2016, 10:23 AM
I installed Genuine Defender door seals to my 1970 IIA soft top. Very easy to do, and in my case none of the metal trim cutting that has been described elsewhere. I did need to trim the seals to accommodate the door latches - you will see what I mean when you do the installation. Very simple and a clean, tight fit.

rbbailey
01-26-2016, 01:49 AM
I was just looking at mine because I decided to go with the Defender style seals, then remembered that I'm running a soft top.

So the galvanized upper door pieces accommodate the seal I the same way as the hard top would? Do the seals come right off, like on my Defender, when I want to convert to hard top?

Contractor
01-29-2016, 08:43 AM
I put Defender seals on my truck with a soft top a few months ago. They fit perfectly and actually work 10 times better than the original rivet on door seals in my opinion.

Take your time and start from the bottom working your way up. Be careful to just wiggle them back and forth to get them to go on while applying pressure with your hands. If you end up using a rubber mallet as some folks have done I think you start to compromise the fit as you will open the back of the seal up by bending the metal and they won't work very well.

Take the strike plates off the doors and then put them back once you have finished installing the seals. After I put the plates back on the truck I ended up re-adjusting the doors some for the best fit.

To answer rbbailey's questions...........yes, they fit perfectly over the soft top parts that you have. The seals will easily come off if you need to switch between tops.

Jim-ME
01-29-2016, 03:37 PM
The genuine seals are much more substantial than the aftermarket ones. Personally I think they are worth the extra cost.
Jim