PDA

View Full Version : While I'm down there...

Artificer
01-24-2016, 09:10 AM
I've done a bit of a search on several forums, but I'm beginning to think my Google skills are subpar. I've go to replace the clutch on my '65 Series IIA 88," and I was wondering; what else should I tackle while I'm down there? My father-in-law suggested I also replace the throwout bearing, but can I do that without pulling the transmission? Should I try to address my screaming banshee overdrive? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a propshaft? :p

In all seriousness, I'd like to do one or two smaller things while I've got the truck apart. Suggestions?

offshoretitan
01-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Depending on condition, you may want to machine the face of your flywheel so that the new clutch doesn't have any juddering after you get it all back together. My theory has always been it's better to resurface the flywheel than wish you had after it's all buttoned up. I also agree with the suggestion of your father-in-law...

Oscar
01-24-2016, 09:46 AM
The throwout bearing requires all the steps required to remove the clutch plate, and it is not very expensive. Absolutely, replace it.

bugeye88
01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Oscar,
Regarding the screaming overdrive,check out the recent thread regarding overdrive noise as it was quite extensively addressed. Good to address any gearbox/clutch/Universal joint/overdrive issues while you have it out of the truck. You do have a copy of the "Green Bible" don't you? It, and this forum will guide you. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

Artificer
01-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Depending on condition, you may want to machine the face of your flywheel so that the new clutch doesn't have any juddering after you get it all back together. My theory has always been it's better to resurface the flywheel than wish you had after it's all buttoned up. I also agree with the suggestion of your father-in-law...

I just looked into the process and it seems like a lot of local shops would be capable of doing this if I brought them the flywheel. Any idea what the turnaround would be like? I'm really hoping to fix the clutch in one weekend with my brother's help.

I Leak Oil
01-24-2016, 01:04 PM
If your IIA has the original transmission then you don't have a traditional style throw out bearing. In some way's it's much more robust. Usually, it doesn't need to be replaced. If it does, then you may have a larger tranny problem looming. It is a little more complex to replace but still pretty easy if you insist on doing it.

Second the refacing of the flywheel.

Artificer
01-24-2016, 01:07 PM
t is a little more complex to replace but still pretty easy if you insist on doing it.

Second the refacing of the flywheel.

I don't insist on doing anything, but if it's worth doing while I'm in there then I'll do it.

To your second point, I guess I'm getting the flywheel done.

SafeAirOne
01-24-2016, 05:14 PM
I don't insist on doing anything, but if it's worth doing while I'm in there then I'll do it.

Have a look at the difference between a pre SIII Rover clutch actuation system and every other "normal" clutch actuation system in the world before you make any decisions. They aren't the same, don't work the same, don't have the same parts and don't suffer from the same problems.

Do your homework first, is my recommendation.

offshoretitan
01-24-2016, 06:08 PM
If you coordinate with the shop doing the machining of the flywheel, it's a service that you can literally wait in the lobby on. I can't remember but let's say 30 minutes to get it set up and run. Well worth doing...

I Leak Oil
01-24-2016, 07:43 PM

To your second point, I guess I'm getting the flywheel done.
OK then. Best of luck.

Artificer
01-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Have a look at the difference between a pre SIII Rover clutch actuation system and every other "normal" clutch actuation system in the world before you make any decisions. They aren't the same, don't work the same, don't have the same parts and don't suffer from the same problems.

Do your homework first, is my recommendation.

Well TBH, I've never worked on any clutch besides that on my Rover and on my motorcycle. I've completely redone the hydraulics on my Rover so I'm relatively familiar on that end (plus years of periodic service on hydraulic machinery. Press brakes don't fix themselves). What, specifically, should I know if I've never worked on other clutches?

Artificer
01-25-2016, 05:38 PM
If you coordinate with the shop doing the machining of the flywheel, it's a service that you can literally wait in the lobby on. I can't remember but let's say 30 minutes to get it set up and run. Well worth doing...

That would be ideal. I'd really like to keep this to one weekend so I can have my brother come down from NYC and my father in law from rural PA without having to put the blasted thing back together by myself.

Artificer
01-25-2016, 05:42 PM
OK then. Best of luck.

Sorry if I came off flippant. It was not my intention.

warrenperkinson
01-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Artificer, while you have the floor out make doubly sure your clutch slave cylinder is good and replace or rebuild if required.

The sIIa requires the floor and gearbox tunnel to be removed to get at the clutch slave.

Cheers,
Warren.

SafeAirOne
01-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Well TBH, I've never worked on any clutch besides that on my Rover and on my motorcycle. I've completely redone the hydraulics on my Rover so I'm relatively familiar on that end (plus years of periodic service on hydraulic machinery. Press brakes don't fix themselves). What, specifically, should I know if I've never worked on other clutches?

Well...the clutch actuation mechanism is different on pre-SIII Rovers. The clutch throw bearing is internal to a housing on the front of the transmission where the input shaft sticks through. Changing this bearing isn't nearly as easy as changing later, "normal" throwout bearings which are consumable items that ride unenclosed on the input shaft between the clutch fork and the pressure plate.

Have a look at the 4th, 5th 6th and 7th pic at the top of this page. You'll see the throw mechanism housing and how the bearing is internal to this, along with how this whole contraption fits inside the bellhousing:

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/well-needed-restoration-of-my-series-2a.76144/page-6

Now compare that to the relatively simple-to-change later style throwout bearing placement that every mechanic in the world is failiar with:

http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/clutch-release-bearing.jpg

Artificer
01-26-2016, 04:47 AM
Have a look at the 4th, 5th 6th and 7th pic at the top of this page.

::Sees the third picture:: "That's not so bad. I don't see what the problem is."

::Sees the fourth picture:: "Oh."

::Sees the fifth through eighth pictures:: "Oh, no. No. Nope."

Unless ball bearings fall out of the case when I pull the gearbox back, I'm not going anywhere near the throwout bearing. Thank you for opening my eyes, SafeAirOne.

SafeAirOne
01-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Unless ball bearings fall out of the case when I pull the gearbox back, I'm not going anywhere near the throwout bearing. Thank you for opening my eyes, SafeAirOne.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do in your timeframe, but it's not the simple task that all other throw bearings are.