PDA

View Full Version : Steering Relay Conundrum

warrenperkinson
02-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Hi All,

This is a question of interest rather than a problem...

Recently I have been inspecting and tuning my steering. One of the things on my checklist is to oil/grease the steering relay.

My steering relay (installed, before my ownership) seems to have a unique method of greasing the relay. Attached is a picture of the top of the relay looking straight down. Circled in green is a grease nipple/zerk fitting that has been attached to the top of the relay. When I inject grease into it, the excess grease comes out a hole in the centre of the relay shaft (circled in red).

It seems to be quite a good solution.

I'm curious to know if this is standard, or has this relay been enhanced at some stage in it's life? Is this a relay from a later model?

Cheers,
Warren.

warrenperkinson
02-15-2016, 03:42 PM

cnfowler
02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
I'd say it's been modified. Steering relays take EP90 oil. They are such a pain to properly maintain until people have come up with ways to add grease to them. Yours is interesting in that the relay shaft has been drilled to allow the grease to exit through it. The others I've seen have had a grease fitting on one side like yours, then one of the top bolts holding the top on is removed to allow the old grease to exit.

Colin