PDA

View Full Version : 5-pin trailer wiring socket and plug pinout?

S11A
03-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Hi,

Trying to finish up the lights today and am adding the trailer wiring socket as in the photo below. Does anyone know what the pinout is for that one? Preferably by position and not wire color since the cloth insulation is pretty faded.

Given that hat a half hour of googling didn't turn up an answer it may not matter as long as I write it down but you know that will end, with my diagram / notes gone forever in a few years...

S11A
03-04-2016, 04:21 PM
A bit more research and it looks like this has a Lucas part no of TLC5 and is part 82053 for the socket and 82051 for the plug per a few sources on the Internet, but the rubber stopper on the chain that fits into the socket says "Lucas 809123".

The socket fits into the small hole on the right hand side of the rear crossmember.

The big pin at top is numbered 1 (on the left as the photo is oriented).

The pins are arranged as follows:

After scrubbing no the cloth insulation a bit I can kind of convince myself of a few colors:

1 looks red or a faded brown. I am going with red and calling that the tail lights.

2 looks reddish (could be brown?) with a green stripe.

3 looks green with a brown or purple stripe.

5 is a faded black or maybe brown. I am going with black calling it the ground.

4 is either a dirty white color or very faded yellow, can't really tell, and has a green stripe.

Since 2 and 3 could possibly be mirrors of each other color wise and are arranged left and right, I think I am going with those as the turn signals / flashers.

4 seems to be the odd one out so calling that the brakes.

...unless anyone has the actual diagram...

I Leak Oil
03-05-2016, 06:51 AM
I'm too lazy to look for you but do they coincide with the wire color scheme for your truck? IIRC, a lot of British vehicles of the era used similar color coding.

S11A
03-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi Jason, I did check that and they are different other than the red and black ones and the green with purple stripe.

I Leak Oil
03-05-2016, 10:18 AM
On the NATO plug I think the Green/Purple strip is the brake light circuit. I'd say black is ground, red is usually the headlight (running lights/plate light) circuit. The other two are obviously your turn signals. I know it's not exact but it's a start.

S11A
03-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Yep, green with purple stripe is brakes.

Green with red stripe us left turn signal.

Green with white stripe is right blinker.

I extended the trailer plug wiring eith those colors and connected everything up today. Got the solder bullets and colored wires from British Wiring - great service from them.

I Leak Oil
03-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Cool beans...
What trailer do you have?

S11A
03-14-2016, 09:50 AM
No trailer yet; just had to rewire the rear lights and figured I would do this at the same time.

I decided to do the amber turn signals for a little better visibility/contrast/safety and found that the guy who did the work originally switched the locations of the brake and blinkers so I had to swap those. Also had to redo almost all of the solder-on bullet connectors.

And this all started with the simple job of installing LED bulbs in the stock housings!

That was how I spent my entire Sunday. Without bragging I can say I have enough practice soldering on the right type of bullet connectors to be pretty good at it.

But will temper that by admiting that I let a little of the smoke out of the license plate wires after plugging in the new bullet connectors... (LED bulbs there too.).

This evening I hope to finish the fronts (Amber blinker lenses and LEDs all around) but found I needed new rubber housings too (tried to do them before and found the existing rubber was too hard to get off without cracking so I have those already, and got as far as removing the ones on the right last night - things are looking good so far.

S11A
03-15-2016, 11:22 AM
And a bonus - found the reflectors in one of my boxes: