PDA

View Full Version : Lockers and other goodies for series

cedryck
03-14-2016, 03:10 PM
What type of differential locking devices work well with a series truck? Thinking of adding one and might want to step away from the $$ ARB model. Thanks lads, cheers,,

bugeye88
03-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Cedryck
After looking into this same topic for some time I went with a 24 spline rear axel and a Detroit Tru Track diff.This was a replacement for the 10 spline axle in my 68 Bug Eye. Bill at GBR builds these rear ends and is very helpful. Go to his site or give him a call. I have found this set up great for instant locking when called for, and no on road noise or chatter.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

TeriAnn
03-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Cedryck
After looking into this same topic for some time I went with a 24 spline rear axel and a Detroit Tru Track diff.This was a replacement for the 10 spline axle in my 68 Bug Eye. Bill at GBR builds these rear ends and is very helpful. Go to his site or give him a call. I have found this set up great for instant locking when called for, and no on road noise or chatter.

A trutrac is a limited slip and not a locker. The Trutrac is MUCH better than an open diff and stronger than the stock Rover diff but it doesn't operate like a true locking diff. If there is no or almost no resistance to tyre movement on one side, such as one tyre on ice or in the air, the diff acts like an open diff. Whereas a locked diff will always provide power to both wheels.

If you are going to lock your diff you should go to stronger 24 spline axles. The 10 spline axles just break too easily (I broke 7 rear axles before upgrading). I agree that Bill is probably the best differential, gearing & axle expert for LRs in the country and can provide very good strong solutions. If you have a 109 a Series III Salisbury is the best way to go. If you have an 88 use your existing axle housing with a 24 spline upgrade from Bill.

As to lockers, a lot depends on if you want to be able to decide when to lock your diff or let a brainless mechanical gadget make the decision for you based upon tyre slippage at that moment. Personally I like to decide if I need a locked diff or not to make it through an obstacle. With an ARB it is my choice when to lock and unlock the diff.

It is important to be able to air down your tyres for the terrain and a good high volume 12V air pump can both reinflate your tyres and operate an air locker.

Personally I went with an ARB in the rear and a Trutrac limited slip up front. The ARB has been trouble free in my rear Salisbury for 20 years now (fitted in 1996) And with a compressor on board I never hesitate to air down so my tyres can best conform to the ground.

cedryck
03-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Thank you Rob and Terri Ann.
Are both ends of the axles 24 spline? So that would mean changing a receiving end in the diff to 24 spline and the wheel flange?
About how much $$?

Les Parker
03-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Link to Bill at GBR's site in Utah :-

http://gbrutah.com/

He is the best guy to guide you down this path.
Have fun !

cnfowler
03-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Just make sure you have at least an hour when you call Bill. He will undoubtedly talk your ear off. The knowledge he has is truly remarkable. You may give up an hour or more of your time, but you will walk away a smarter person.

Colin

TeriAnn
03-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Thank you Rob and Terri Ann.
Are both ends of the axles 24 spline? So that would mean changing a receiving end in the diff to 24 spline and the wheel flange?
About how much $$?

The key is the diameter and strength of the metal the shaft is made from. I have broken a pair of "unbreakable" 10 spline rear shafts. It just took more time to do it. The 10 spline Rover diff is not very strong. So yes it is best to go with a stronger 24 spline diff, uprated 24 spline axles and drive flanges. Is it an expensive upgrade. Yes. But if you keep oil in the diff the parts will last and you won't be removing a rear axle and rear propshaft on the trail in the middle of nowhere hoping that you can make it out with front wheel drive and what recovery gear you have with you.

Is the upgrade worth it? A lot of the answer depends upon where you go in your LR. If it mostly highways and maintained forest service roads, probably not. If you want to be safe in those conditions just replace your 10 spline rear axles every 45K miles as a preventative.

If you are out in the middle of nowhere on primitive unmaintained trails, the upgrade is probably a very good idea. It is a lot of $$$ up front but it can save you the cost of multiple diff rebuilds and axle replacements downstream. I have noticed that when the axle breaks at the inside end, a big chip tends to get between the pinion gear and ring gear by the time you stop the vehicle and remove the axles.

And yes Bill's your guy. His parts are inside both my front and rear axle housings. I've had my Dormobile for 38 years now. During the first 18 of those I went through 7 rear axles and 3 diffs. In 1996 The rear got upgraded with a rear ARB, Uprated 24 spline rear axles and drive flanges from Bill and 20 years later those parts are still in there doing their job. Knock on birmabright. However during that time I went through 2 front axles before upgrading to 24 spline front axles and a Trutrac.

If you go deeply into the bush with 10 spline rear axles, carry a spare set of new axles and enough tools and rags to drop your diff and clean broken axle bits out of the housing before reassembling (assuming a break at the inside end).

I Leak Oil
03-17-2016, 10:14 AM
If you want a locker, the best bang for the buck is the Detroit Locker. Simple, durable but not selectable, if that matters to you. Solves the weak carrier issue and I think you can get them in either 10 or 24 spline.
I like my ARB setup though...

REDrum
03-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Research Kaiser locker.

24 spline for rover, no 10. Was going to install on 2A, but got deal on 2 built air lockers. I have a few buddies who run Kaisers on FJ40s in CR and they work VERY well. Some oversteer on lift but that is customary with any traction enhancing carrier.

utahseries
04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
I took the SeriesTrek (Bill was out of axles at the time) 24 Spline route with a Truetrac (in the rear), and I couldn't be happier. It's extremely nice to bolt it up and not worry about breaking anything. Though my 86" SW is a little lighter than an 88" SW. One day I'll try and find some 24 spline fronts so I can replicate the setup in the front..