PDA

View Full Version : boot replacement

dwmcompton
03-24-2016, 02:42 PM
OK, so is there a special tool of some kind to replace new boots on ball joints? Or do you need to be a Wizard? Having a helluva time, especially with lube making everything slippery.

lumpydog
03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
I've found a really good tool to use here is your wallet!

In all seriousness though, if you have to replace the boot, it's probably a good idea to replace the ball joint. $20-30 is short money for an item that has much to do with the safety of the truck. While you're at it, get one with a zerk fitting to make it easy to service!

dwmcompton
03-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Made some progress - warming up the boots with a heat gun and I was able to get the bottom over the lip at the top of the ball joint. But the boot rubber seems way to thick to sit in the groove, and the boot spring does nothing to keep the boot in place. Frustrating... not ready to give up. Again, the ball joints are in great shape. They are clean, move easily, etc. so having a hard time with the idea of tossing the four of them vs. keeping $85 in my wallet-tool.

lumpydog
03-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Hah! Trying to keep existing parts existing is the rover way. Good on ya for trying. Keep at it.

I Leak Oil
03-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Perhaps your new boots are not made for those particular TRE's? Aftermarket boots or TRE's may not be compatible.

dwmcompton
03-26-2016, 07:34 AM
But if I have a Series III and I order boots from the RoversNorth website which say they are for a Series III and which seems to be the only option, could I have received the wrong boots?

I Leak Oil
03-26-2016, 09:29 AM
I have no doubt you received what you ordered but perhaps (most likely) you don't have the original TRE's on the vehicle. The new boots may not be compatible with aftermarket TRE's. Just a guess based on the fitment issues you're describing.