PDA

View Full Version : Clutch sticking!

Kickinthetires
04-11-2016, 03:41 PM
New Guy here. I have recently become the caretaker (owner) of a nice '63 109. In backing it out of the garage the other day, it stuck in reverse even with the clutch depressed. After cutting the engine, it shifted to neutral with no issue. I restarted the truck and pulled back into the garage in first...and again it stuck and I had to step on the brake and cut the engine. Any suggestions? I think the first step is to bleed the slave cylinder to be sure there is no air. When I crawl underneath, I see it is tricky to get a wrench onto the bleed screw (it has a Series III transmission). Any tricks on how to get the wrench onto the nut with enough room to move it...and what size is this thing?

Thoughts? (Thanks in advance)

Jim-ME
04-11-2016, 05:49 PM
On the right side of the transmission tunnel there should be a rubber plug or a open hole. You can reach the bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder through that hole. If bleeding the slave doesn't solve the problem you will need a new master cylinder. If you need to replace the MC you will need to remove the left front fender. It would be a very good idea to get a shop manual as adjusting the pedal travel so the new MC functions properly is important.
Jim

SafeAirOne
04-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Hmm... With a Series III transmission, you'll have the slave on the left of the bellhousing (as viewed from the driver's seat). The bleeder should be right there, though I THINK, on the SIII chassis, it's clearanced a little for access to the slave, whereas it isn't on non SIIIs, so that might be your access issue. You may nave to take off the floorboards and the tunnel cover to get to it.

To me, it sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging when you step on the pedal. Make sure the system is air-free and check the adjustment on the clutch master cylinder rod (to make sure you're getting the full stroke).

Kickinthetires
04-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks! it is a SIII transmission so the slave is on the left. Ido have a shop manual for SIII but my Designa chassis and exhaust pipe limit access to get a wrench in there. Before I try to take floors apart I might see if an offset wrench can get in there. Thanks for the feedback. I will check MC rod as well. Much appreciated.