PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap on a Series III 88

neofeudal
04-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Hey gang! OK, so my mechanic (yes, I have a mechanic, unlike you masters of the craft!)...anyway, my mechanic says that he'd like to swap in a 1990 Ford Ranger engine.

My current engine has cylinder #4 needing to be re-bored, but it was ALREADY re-bored and so we can't do that again. And parts are expensive and he can work the engine swap for the same cost as the re-bore would have been (I think he is ENTHUSIASTIC and wants to make it happen).

I trust the mechanic, but he is not experienced in the lovely nuances of Land Rovers. So, I was wondering if anybody on here has any experience or advice to share. Will it be terribly loud to drive? Unintended consequences?

My mechanic says it is not all that uncommon and that I'd have fuel injection, more power, better mileage, more dependability, cheaper parts...but it sounds a bit TOO GOOD to be true.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks everybody!

lumpydog
04-13-2016, 04:11 PM
What's the condition of your series 3? If you're concerned with resale value, a swap with a different engine will detract. If it's an off-roading third party part pimped ride, swap away.

Engine cylinders can be rebored multiple times. You can go progressively larger piston bore .010, .020, .030, .040... If it were me, I'd try to keep what I have/know. Especially if the mechanic there has not done a swap with a Rover before. Have him pull the engine and get it to someone that knows Rover engines.

SafeAirOne
04-13-2016, 10:11 PM
To add to that, cylinders can be sleeved and brought back to factory standard sizes and tolerances too.

What's the plan for attaching the alternative engine to your existing transmission? also clutch to flywheel? Will it fit in the engine bay without having to modify the bulkhead or change the position of the downstream driveline?

Also note that you can get good used 2.25 engines for under $1000 if you look around and are patient. Sometimes WELL under $1000.

TeriAnn
04-15-2016, 08:33 AM
A Series Land Rover engine swap is not just an engine swap and you never do it to save money on the swap vs a rebuild. The exception is swapping in an engine with a very similar power curve that likes to cruise at the same RPMs. The Series gearbox is a pre-WWII design and is not reliably up to much more HP than a 2.25 engine puts out. The gears in the gearbox, transfercase and differentials were carefully chosen to get the most performance out of the 2.25 engine.

If you go to a different engine you need to know where it produces peak torque and what its most economical cruse RPM is. Then you need to figure gear ratios that will put your engine in its cruising sweet spot at highway speeds and give you a low range first of at least 40:1 at the axle (stock series low/first ratio). I strongly prefer 50 to 55:1 low range first ratio.

Then you need to come up with a stronger top loader gearbox that will mate to the new engine with an off the shelf clutch. Then go to Advance adapters for an adapter that will mate the gearbox to the Series transfercase (which is very strong). A lot of engineering to get right and a lot of money that you probably will not get back out of the vehicle unless you just keep it forever.

As people have mentioned, you can pick up a good 2.25L core at a reasonable price. Never consider an engine swap as the cheap alternative unless you want a vehicle that is undependable. A proper swap requires system engineering and a lot of $$$$ for parts and labour. And someone who knows how to properly make a swap into a Series truck. Do it right or not at all.

DSG85
04-19-2016, 07:14 AM
Also note that you can get good used 2.25 engines for under $1000 if you look around and are patient. Sometimes WELL under $1000.

What are the best places to look around for such engines?

SafeAirOne
04-19-2016, 05:09 PM
What are the best places to look around for such engines?

I don't know that there's a best place, per se; They just come up on series rover-related boards occasionally, mostly when you don't need an engine or, in the case or really good bargains, when the seller is located on the other end of the continent.

cnfowler
04-19-2016, 08:45 PM
..They just come up on series rover-related boards occasionally, mostly when you don't need an engine or, in the case of really good bargains, when the seller is located on the other end of the continent.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Colin

o2batsea
04-22-2016, 06:49 AM
I love it when people drop a grenade like this and walk away, never to be heard from again.

cedryck
04-29-2016, 02:35 PM
always on the other side of the globe,,,

SafeAirOne
05-03-2016, 06:07 AM
USED ENGINE:

http://gunsandrovers.com/showthread.php?t=8196&p=90335#post90335

neofeudal
05-27-2016, 04:42 PM
I love it when people drop a grenade like this and walk away, never to be heard from again.

I very much appreciate all this input and am reading though. THANK YOU for all this great information! Much appreciated!

--Jason

SafeAirOne
05-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Anyhow, what'd you figure out about your engine? Complete powertrain change or just swap in a compatible Rover powerplant?

heatxcape
07-04-2016, 09:06 AM
sure would be nice to know where neofeudal went with the swap?? anyone??

o2batsea
07-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Meh