PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for keeping mirrors from moving?

2roverlabs
04-13-2016, 05:23 PM
I cannot for the life of me keep my mirrors from moving out of position when driving. Tried electrical tape on the mirror post. Rubber strip under the clamp. Any ideas?

SafeAirOne
04-13-2016, 09:58 PM
If you're talking about the mirrors themselves, NOT the arms, then I feel your pain. Those mirrors stink. I've got 2 on my 109. They're absolute garbage.

I finally got my mirrors to stop rotating around the arm by getting a strip of sandpaper, folding it so that the smooth side was back-to-back and the rough side faced out on both sides, then rolled it around the mirror arm and clamped the mirror down on that.

Even then, the swivel built onto the back of the mirror doesn't have enough travel to be at the perfect angle for me to see back there, no matter which notch the arm is set to (the arm on those SIII mirrors have spring loaded detents, allowing you to rotate the arm to a variety of different angles).

cnfowler
04-14-2016, 08:20 AM
If nothing else has worked, find the right spot for the mirrors and glue the clamps.

Colin

keneiler
04-23-2016, 02:37 PM
I set both mirrors and used 5 minute epoxy to permanently fix them

SafeAirOne
04-23-2016, 08:14 PM
I set both mirrors and used 5 minute epoxy to permanently fix them

Boy, you don't fool around, do you? ;)

2roverlabs
05-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to keep looking forward and never back up!

slowmo
05-02-2016, 05:01 PM
If your mirrors are moving around, I guess that means the truck is moving around as well. That's great for starters.

I have used aluminum foil in such cases, though not this one exactly. You have to wrap the layers carefully to minimize wrinkles on the offending reduced diameter object. Then insert it by prying open the clamp with a screw driver or something. Insert the mirror stem, tighten the clamp as see if there were enough layers. It is a trial and error job, but generally works out okay.