PDA

View Full Version : So close, yet so far...

jackxter
04-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Hi all - I'm new to the group. I was hoping to be the owner of a new to me Series 3 today :nono:
I saw it listed on eBay and it was a few hours away. The earliest I could see it was today so I spent the entire weekend dreaming, reading and learning about what I was getting involved with.
My only hesitation was the top-speed, but as my only concern, I figured it is something I can live with.
This site was so helpful. I read tons and felt like I had experience when I finally got to see it in person.
I'm glad I saw the youtube clips about not buying from eBay. (without seeing it in person)
I knew what to look out for and it made my first time inspecting it seem like I've done it many times before. I think the owner was surprised about my knowledge since during our first conversation, I didn't know a thing.
The weekend gave me time to learn lots. If not, I would have thrown my money at him and tried to get it home as quick as possible.
It was beautiful from far and far from beautiful up close. It had a quick spray paint restoration underneath to cover rust. All galvanized parts were removed and spray painted black. Suspension was shot. Steering had tons of play. Although it had overdrive and I was told it can do 60, I couldn't come close to 50 on flat roads.
I'm glad that I came to see it because I wouldn't be able to sleep until I did.
Unfortunately, I'll just have to look for another...until I find it, I will continue to read, learn and lust.

-jack

80sailor
04-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Be patient. Good ones are out there and worth the wait.

You did the right thing.

I Leak Oil
04-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Good job. It's easy to fall for the blonde wig....

lumpydog
04-18-2016, 08:41 PM
Exactly what you should be doing! Good job. Seriously.

Best series rover to buy is NOT the first one you see. That's how you learn. You'll find the right one - if you've taken the time to read/learn what you have so far, you're likely a good match for these trucks. They are best placed with people that take the time to understand what they're doing - homework first then do it.

If you post your location here, a forum member may be able to help you inspect the next one (or find the next one!)

cnfowler
04-18-2016, 09:42 PM
My hat is off to you for doing what probably 99% of the population can't do in that situation - show restraint.

Colin

jackxter
04-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm in NYC if anyone has leads. Thanks in advance.

jack

dwmcompton
04-27-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm counting on a top speed of 40mph from mine, all I'll need on these rural roads as I never plan on taking it out of town!

jackxter
04-28-2016, 07:12 AM
So, I've been busy browsing - despite my first experience being a disappointment. How do you guys feel about the Santana? Pros/Cons?
70's Diesel, restored and looking gorgeous.

DGG
04-28-2016, 02:45 PM
It's not a Land Rover, but looks close.

DGG
04-29-2016, 07:49 AM
It's not a Land Rover, but looks close.

Sorry, wrong thread. Was meant for the Santana thread. Please ignore.