PDA

View Full Version : wiring (sigh) for series III 1972

germaine
04-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I'm on my 3rd mechanic (I live near cooperstown, ny about 1 hour west of Albany and Saratoga).

Two wouldn't look at it; the 3rd has had it sitting outside now for nearly 6 months. Does anyone know of a mechanic who will work on wiring (replace main harness) in my area?

Thanks, germaine

DGG
04-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Hi Germaine. I live in Cooperstown also. I think we've met before. What are the problems you are having?

Doug Gable

Tim Smith
04-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Try Red Barn Engineering in Saratoga Springs. Owner's name is Bob and he's a solid guy.

(518)581-9119

slowmo
04-26-2016, 04:34 PM
I know this sounds crazy, but installing a wiring harness is pretty easy. It may seem daunting at first but think of it this way. Right in front of you, you have a life size example of how the harness fits in the truck. Take a bunch of pics before you start.

When you start clip off the wires from the gauges and equipment leaving as long of a piece of wire as possible. Do not disconnect the wires at all. Leave the clipped wire as a huge hint for later. Once you have dismembered the harness remove it. Now install the new harness. For those wires with visible colors you can basically match up with the new harness, remove the old clipped wire and put on the new.

There will be wires which have been replaced over the years, or ones you can't see the color coding any more. You'll need to refer to a wiring diagram at that point. Don't let the diagram stress you out. It is simply just like a road map. Find the instrument or device you need to connect on the map. See the color codes which need to be connected to that device on the map. Connect the wires.

There is a system for the color coding. Terri-Ann has a fabulous website covering everything Series Rover. Here is a link to the color coding scheme: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Lucaswirecode.htm

You can use this to figure out those few extra wires that don't seem to have a home.

Give it a shot!

cedryck
04-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Yeah, spend some time looking at the diagram for your truck, then label everything before cutting, it is pretty easy actually, use a simple tester to test for continuity, you should be set, cheers,