PDA

View Full Version : Marine Blue Paint

srady
07-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Iam looking to re-paint my 88 and was wondering the best place to get the Marine Blue paint. Any ideas?

Scott

Leslie
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I went to the local body shop that is the DuPOnt dealer and ordered my Rover's paint by code.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Other.paint.Codes.html

Do you want to spray it, with a gun, or do you want to go w/ spray-cans or a roller type of paint job?

Pete
07-11-2007, 04:52 AM
I buy from the local NAPA. Bring in the numbers and they will cross reference it for you.

rovertek
07-11-2007, 06:41 AM
ive used dupont centari extensivly over the last 30 yrs its shine and durability is outstanding plus it is priced reasonably and you dont have to buff, the paint code is #8503A for marine blue.....

Alacrity
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
What kind of paint do you want?

Napa is good, Sherwin Williams is ok - or find a local paint/autobody supply store. Talk to the guys - assume you are shooting in the garage. If so they can steer you.

I think all the single stage AE paints from the big companies are comparable. PPG DP sealer/primer is fantastic - but you need to top coat within a few days or it wont link. If you need a high fill primer, imagine PPG K-200 or K-36 (or whatever has taken their place) is fine. Since I really like DP - I'd find a PPG dealer and have them set you up.

Luck
Alac

srady
07-11-2007, 07:14 PM
First off, thanks for the replies. :thumb-up:

My second question is, how much paint will it take to paint the vehicle?

Thanks, Scott

rovertek
07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
for an outer overall on an 88 it will take 3 qts of dupont centari (not including the roof which will take 1 qt) plus 793s hardner and i would recomend 8034s reducer if temp is under 70, if over 70 8022s, if you are also painting the inside and the jambs you will need 5 qts of paint.....

solihull109
07-11-2007, 08:28 PM
That's if he's sprayed before......and is used to adding reducers/ hardeners..
What type of spray equipment are we talking about as well. HVLP?...or just a compressor and a qt. gun?...
If you are going that route( qt.gun/compressor), do you have a dryer inline?...at least a filter.....you DON'T want moisture in the line....
And, any bodyman will tell you...it's ALL in the prep...if the primer(s) are not applied correctly, your topcoat will be junk. Just my .02
Good Luck

wear a respirator( not a dust mask )
if you're doing this in your garage...hose the floor down with water first..will keep dust down, and overspray will be attracked to it...

Alacrity
07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Start here:

http://www.roverlanders.bc.ca/faq/LRpaintMain.html

Luck
Alac