PDA

View Full Version : Shorland 6 cylinder fuel problem

05-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Hello,
advice needed from the experts...( you have helped me greatly in the past)...My 2.6 6 cylinder with the Zenith 175 CD carb...after a long winter it started on the first crank fully choked, running like a champ, EXCEPT I have a severe " popping" or " squashing" sound from the exhaust, engines idles good, runs good, but the tailpipe noise is noticeable and coated in black soot. Mixture problem no doubt. I adjusted the adjustment on the bottom of the carb, screw in until reduction in idle then backed out a turn....no effect. Last fall I replaced points, rotoretc, plugs and wires, timing, it ran very good with a very slight occasional pop,..now, unbearable. Where to,start? I rebuilt the carb about 8 years ago, is it time again? I read there is a mixture adjusting tool to insert in the dash pot top to set the metering rod, all thoughts appreciated.....for interest, I did make it to the CAF WW2 Days event at Falcon Field, see picture.
Thanks.

05-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Hello,
advice needed from the experts...( you have helped me greatly in the past)...My 2.6 6 cylinder with the Zenith 175 CD carb...after a long winter it started on the first crank fully choked, running like a champ, EXCEPT I have a severe " popping" or " squashing" sound from the exhaust, engines idles good, runs good, but the tailpipe noise is noticeable and coated in black soot. Mixture problem no doubt. I adjusted the adjustment on the bottom of the carb, screw in until reduction in idle then backed out a turn....no effect. Last fall I replaced points, rotoretc, plugs and wires, timing, it ran very good with a very slight occasional pop,..now, unbearable. Where to,start? I rebuilt the carb about 8 years ago, is it time again? I read there is a mixture adjusting tool to insert in the dash pot top to set the metering rod, all thoughts appreciated.....for interest, I did make it to the CAF WW2 Days event at Falcon Field, see picture.
Thanks.

I have a few days before I have time to hit it again, is it possible the float level needs adjusting? Would a high bowl fuel level give an over rich condition in both the idle and normal operating ranges? If I remember correctly, I can re adjust the float level without removing the carb. Input appreciated.

05-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Where can I buy a rebuild kit for a Zenith 175 CD model number 3618 carburetor? I have pictured the carburetor that I installed 9 years ago....or a new one? Gower Lee in England
Has one, pricey, $335 shipped, and they said they are out of stock on a rebuild kit.

SafeAirOne
05-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Where can I buy a rebuild kit for a Zenith 175 CD model number 3618 carburetor? I have pictured the carburetor that I installed 9 years ago....or a new one? Gower Lee in England
Has one, pricey, $335 shipped, and they said they are out of stock on a rebuild kit.

A NOS carb is only 95 GBP + shipping here (http://www.keithgott.co.uk/parts_special_offers.html).