PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Series 3 88" Rear Differential For Sale Needs work

mmanship
06-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I recently purchased a very nice 1972 Series III 88". I didn't know anything about Rovers. I knew this one was noisy but seller said they all sound that way. I looked under it and everything was leaking except the rear diff. I surmised that would be one thing that didn't need my attention. Wrong. It was dry. When I put lube in and drove it, that's when it became very apparent we got a problem. So, I bought a diff to install and I think it is OK. If the diff I took out has any value to anyone, let me know. Or, from the more experienced of you out there let me know if it is worthless. I can tell the needle bearing assemblies are messed up. And, I had to clean out a lot of loose metal from the housings. Do I junk it? Thanks

cedryck
06-02-2016, 01:50 PM
I recently purchased a very nice 1972 Series III 88". I didn't know anything about Rovers. I knew this one was noisy but seller said they all sound that way. I looked under it and everything was leaking except the rear diff. I surmised that would be one thing that didn't need my attention. Wrong. It was dry. When I put lube in and drove it, that's when it became very apparent we got a problem. So, I bought a diff to install and I think it is OK. If the diff I took out has any value to anyone, let me know. Or, from the more experienced of you out there let me know if it is worthless. I can tell the needle bearing assemblies are messed up. And, I had to clean out a lot of loose metal from the housings. Do I junk it? Thanks
Yeah, loose metal is a definite sign that something broke, an axle, that no one cleaned up after, or pinion gear, or spiders. To someone, the housing and possibly some inner components could be worth a look. Most people like myself would want, even a blown up one, for spares. Cheers.

mmanship
06-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Dude, would you want it or not want it. I can't tell.

cedryck
06-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Dude, would you want it or not want it. I can't tell.
Sorry if I read a little not direct, My answer is yes I or someone would want it.