PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Series III restoration project

jhhanson
06-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone,
I bought this truck in may and it had been sitting for about 5 years at a garage where the owner had it as his first car then decided to restore it but never finished. I've been wanting to restore a series for a while and have a strong mechanical background and learn quickly. Let me know what you all think of the condition it's in and where I should start. I plan to put new parabolic suspension in with old man emu shocks. I have a new zenith carb for it but I know I'm missing a good amount of parts. If you notice any parts I need or have tips on the best places to find parts that would be great!

Thanks,
John Henry1171011709117081170711706117051170411703

jhhanson
06-20-2016, 04:42 PM
more pictures

jhhanson
06-20-2016, 04:43 PM
couple more

siii8873
06-20-2016, 06:04 PM
looks like a good starting point, galv frame, very nice bulkhead, wings, hood. Hard to tell what's missing, suggest getting a parts manual and Operation&Maint manual. Do not see all dash parts, the lower one is HTF.

Tim Smith
06-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Cover up that hole in the intake immediately. A spy a bolt in the hood that looks like it's directly above the carburetor hole when closed. I'm not a betting man but I'd put good odds on that bolt dripping down into the intake when it rains. Well, if Murphy's law has anything to say about it at least.

The truck may look ruff now but it looks like you have all the bare bones needed for a nice little resto project. Have fun.

parrie
06-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone,
I bought this truck in may and it had been sitting for about 5 years at a garage where the owner had it as his first car then decided to restore it but never finished. I've been wanting to restore a series for a while and have a strong mechanical background and learn quickly. Let me know what you all think of the condition it's in and where I should start. I plan to put new parabolic suspension in with old man emu shocks. I have a new zenith carb for it but I know I'm missing a good amount of parts. If you notice any parts I need or have tips on the best places to find parts that would be great!

Thanks,
John Henry1171011709117081170711706117051170411703

Looks like most of the really important items have been addressed. Bulkhead appears to be in very good condition, new galvy frame, running gear also looks like it has been addressed (other than a missing nut on the right front shackle bolt). Looks like a majority of the parts are there although I do not see floor panels or a windscreen. IMO very decent project...plan on investing in a green bible and parts manual...loads of info. Also, there are literally hundreds of threads on this forum with a wealth of info...if you can't find what you are looking for on a thread search don't be afraid to ask a question...most everyone here is glad to help. Good Luck & enjoy!