PDA

View Full Version : New springs - best way to prevent corrosion?

2roverlabs
06-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Just installed new parabolic springs. Thought the "finish" on them was somewhat substantial. Couple weeks of driving and some finish has been dinged off. I want to treat them to prevent rust/corrosion but I don't want to remove them. Truck is garage kept at 50% humidity but lives on the southeast coast so corrosion from the salt air is enemy #1. Suggestions?

1973 SIII

lumpydog
06-27-2016, 10:06 PM
I like T-9 Boeshield

Others may recommend fluid film but that sh;t wreaks and is clumpy.

TedW
06-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Just to throw this into the conversation: Years ago I smeared Anti-Sieze paste on some surface rust spots on my frame, and the stuff never seems to come off. I wish it came in black!

robmande87
06-28-2016, 09:22 PM
Check out corrosion X. It is quite good a lubricant, pent rate and provides excellent corrosion resistance. It works well with electronics too.

lumpydog
06-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Check out corrosion X. It is quite good a lubricant, pent rate and provides excellent corrosion resistance. It works well with electronics too.

CorrosionX is awesome stuff. You nailed it though: Best served to electronics. It's di-electric - non conductive. I use it a lot on my boat and on water-exposed electronic connectors - like head and tail lights.

I like Boeshield a lot because it creeps (gets into crevices and climbs/seeps). Additionally, it has a light wax base that sets it in place. It doesn't evaporate and seems to withstand water.

kb1iaw
06-29-2016, 06:14 AM
Wynns makes a product called Viscotene which sounds very similar to Boesheild. It sprays on as a light liquid then dries to an oily wax. It's very difficult to remove. For the springs I give them a good dose of Fluid Film whenever I'm doing the undercarriage.

o2batsea
06-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Make up a mixture of equal parts linseed oil, turpentine, and parrafin. Heat it in a coffee can to melt the wax into the mixture. Let it cool and slop this stuff on with a rag. Don't worry about pretty just get the stuff on there.

clearcut
06-29-2016, 02:22 PM
I use CorrosionX Lubricant and Penetrant

josh