PDA

View Full Version : Stuck horn in a Series IIA

chuckstp
07-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Apparently while we were away, my IIA decided to celebrate Independence Day early by honking the horn at 6:30 in the morning.

Last year, after a minor amount of rain got on the steering wheel, it shorted out. I pulled the steering wheel and thought I had it corrected. I have the old style steering wheel and after pulling it, found the issue is the brass slip ring appears to be shorted to ground. Even with the steering wheel off, if the circuit is connected, everyone knows.

I couldn't find any information in the Green Bible or in the Land Rover Workshop Manual on how to disassemble or remove the slip ring and no obvious short. Anyone have an idea on how to attack the situation?

o2batsea
07-05-2016, 06:51 AM
The slip ring is slid on over a plastic sleeve. Is the plastic sleeve in place?

cedryck
07-05-2016, 10:13 AM
The slip ring is slid on over a plastic sleeve. Is the plastic sleeve in place?
My horn goes off without touching it when my old style steering wheel bends when I go around a turn,,

80sailor
07-05-2016, 01:33 PM
What is it with all you people and your working horns???

chuckstp
07-06-2016, 04:49 AM
The problem is, my horn works all the time. Anyway, there appears to be a plastic sleeve under the slip ring. It isn't obvious how they come off and I can't see anything shorting it to the shaft.

It is especially mysterious how or why it shorted out and able to carry enough current to wake up half of the neighborhood.

slowmo
07-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Hey Chuck,

The wire from the horn is connected to the brass cup on the steering column visible when you remove the steering wheel. There is a "brush" inside the rear of the steering wheel which picks up the circuit. The horn button completes the circuit by connecting it to the chassis. If the horn is honking with the steering wheel off, the short is either in the wire leading to the steering wheel from the horn, or the horn itself.

My horn honked when I turned left. I removed the steering wheel and found a solder "glob" where the wire was connected to the brass cup. This solder glob shorted at the brush during left turns, so I resoldered it and end of story. Mind you, in a Series Rover a left turn is an emergency event every time, so having the horn honk automatically was actually quite appropriate.

cedryck
07-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Hey Chuck,

The wire from the horn is connected to the brass cup on the steering column visible when you remove the steering wheel. There is a "brush" inside the rear of the steering wheel which picks up the circuit. The horn button completes the circuit by connecting it to the chassis. If the horn is honking with the steering wheel off, the short is either in the wire leading to the steering wheel from the horn, or the horn itself.

My horn honked when I turned left. I removed the steering wheel and found a solder "glob" where the wire was connected to the brass cup. This solder glob contacted the brush during left turns, so I resoldered it and end of story. Mind you, in a Series Rover a left turn is an emergency event every time, so having the horn honk automatically was actually quite appropriate.
My horn helps 'announce" my arrival in my driveway, and my neighbors think I am being nicer than I actually am in real life,
I will check that tab and "blob"

chuckstp
07-07-2016, 04:43 AM
My short is clearly with the slip ring. With the steering wheel off and the wire to the slip ring disconnected, I get a dead short to ground with the volt meter. This includes desoldering the wire to the slip ring. With the steering wheel off, if I touch the wire to the slip ring, we have a circuit and thus blow the horn.

As difficult as it is to see anything, while upside down peering into the small tabs to look for a short, with no light, I was wondering if there is a reasonable way to take the plastic ring and slip ring off. That aught to eliminate any short. Of course I need to put it back together without the short to pass inspection and such.

chuckstp
07-12-2016, 04:36 AM
Just in case anyone has a similar issue or cares in any way, I believe I have this resolved. The only logical conclusion I could come up with for a short which arrives without any outside changes with the exception of the weather is light metal debris mixed with the grease.

I had a very difficult time pulling the steering wheel off and back on. Later I found one angle it slips on nicely, otherwise it binds. This was causing a small amount of metal shavings as the splines worked against each other. Mix that with the grease and you have a short in the making.

After cleaning with a good solvent I have no short but time will be the ultimate judge.