PDA

View Full Version : Volt Regulator History Help

ernest.irw
07-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Anyone know about the history of Land Rover Series volt regulator? In my series 3 I think there is only one volt regulator which is attached behind the speedometer and it look like this:11778
I've come across a Lucas volt regulator that look like this:11779
Is it for the earlier Series Land Rovers? Or can I fit this type of volt regulator for the series 3?

I Leak Oil
07-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Your SIII has a voltage stabilizer for the gauges. The regulator was meant for the earlier trucks that had generators. Your SIII should have an internally regulated alternator. You don't need an external regulator. Do you have a shop manual with a wiring diagram? Good reading on a lazy weekend afternoon.

lumpydog
07-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Your SIII has a voltage stabilizer for the gauges. The regulator was meant for the earlier trucks that had generators. Your SIII should have an internally regulated alternator. You don't need an external regulator. Do you have a shop manual with a wiring diagram? Good reading on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Yup - You're talking about two different parts. To add to I-leak-oil: The voltage stabilizer (1st picture) takes a 12V source and "stabilizes" it down to 10V. The instruments need/expect 10V so this little device sits on that back of your speedo and does that job.

The voltage regulator (second picture) was paired with the earlier Series truck's generator (aka dynamo) and managed output voltage to charge the battery and cut in (when the truck's power supply cut in from the battery over to the generator). Series 3s use an alternator (as opposed to a generator) that did away with the need for a separate control box/voltage regulator.