PDA

View Full Version : Clunk or clunker

chuckstp
07-12-2016, 04:47 AM
Recently I rebuilt the left swivel ball because of wheel wobble. Just before doing that, I noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear end when I tuned right. After the replacement of the swivel ball, I still got the clunk and it happens with turns in either direction. It seems to only happen when I give it a bit of gas. If I crawl around the turn it generally does't happen. It drives like a champ going strait. The only time it happens without turning is after being parked with the transmission brake on.

Some of the bolts on the front and rear propeller shafts were loose so I tightened them with no real change. The only other interesting thing is, I was told the rear tire jumped off the ground about an inch when accompanied by the noise. It also seems to be slightly better in 4 wheel drive.

My major concern is how to troubleshoot this before completely tearing into the vehicle. I expect to be disabled but if at all possible, have parts on order before diving in. Otherwise it will be immobile somewhere for well over a week.

stomper
07-12-2016, 06:23 AM
Check the u bolts that hold the axle to the springs. Is the axle slipping out of alignment?

cedryck
07-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Check the u bolts that hold the axle to the springs. Is the axle slipping out of alignment?

Bushing can make clunking noises when flexing and turning, as well.

chuckstp
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Examining the U bolts, they don't show any obvious signs of breakage or unusual stress. Regarding the bushings, the only ones I can find in any of the manuals are on the front. This started prior to my rebuild of the swivel ball and I replaced the bushing in this. The noise is clearly from the rear (or at least not the front) so unless the front bushings could cause a reaction in the rear, that doesn't seem like a likely cause.

The only obvious external abnormality I can find is with the front propeller shaft. I am able to rotate it slightly which I understand is normal but if I push on the center of the shaft, I am able to get it to move perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. The rear shaft has no give whatsoever and feels like a single solid piece.

So for the experiment, I removed the front propeller shaft. It is noticeably worse. It clunks and bangs both accelerating and decelerating now. One thing I found is the gears must be engaged. In neutral with a reasonable amount of speed, it rides smoothly even while turning.

o2batsea
07-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Have any of the shock absorber flat washers come off allowing the outer rubber bushes to vacate the area? I would also put eyeballs on the shackle bolt bushings in the chassis