PDA

View Full Version : 1948 grill project on S3, back at it again.

LH Drive
07-15-2016, 02:41 PM
It's been almost 4 years since I began this project. I had to put my rover on hold these past years. Time to get going again.

LH Drive
07-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Still mocking up the custom 1948 aluminum grill. This new front grill panel is just clamped onto the original S3 radiator support panel and its sticking out further than it needs to be. Still need to fab the radiator supports, hood latch, headlight mounts and outer diameter lip with mounting tabs.

LaneRover
07-26-2016, 10:17 AM
Still mocking up the custom 1948 aluminum grill. This new front grill panel is just clamped onto the original S3 radiator support panel and its sticking out further than it needs to be. Still need to fab the radiator supports, hood latch, headlight mounts and outer diameter lip with mounting tabs.

So will the entire front grill panel/radiator support be made out of aluminum? If so how are you dealing with possible stress fractures in the aluminum? Are you going pretty thick or having some steal support pieces.

Either way I think its a neat project.

LH Drive
07-27-2016, 02:03 PM
I used .250 thick plate aluminum for the front radiator grille panel. It will mostly be built out of same thickness for strength. This panel is going to hold my headlights and radiator along with the front wings.

Still tackling the rusty footwell repair. I'm in over my head on this bulkhead swap. This Series 2A bulkhead had way more rust than I predicted. Needs to be resolved before I can proceed.