PDA

View Full Version : Forgot my key....how can I start it?

Jared
07-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Down on the cape and left my key in Boston....any ideas for turning it over?:confused:

TeriAnn
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Down on the cape and left my key in Boston....any ideas for turning it over?:confused:

What is it?

Factory positive earth series rigs are the easiest. That's why I recommend that people lock their bonnets.:eek:

All you need to do is run a jumper wire between the top and bottom fuses. One fuse is unswitched power. The other is switched power. Jumping between the two is the same as turning the key on. The starter button runs the starter motor. You turn the engine off by removing the jumper.

My bonnet's been locked since I first figured that out. But it did get me home when my ignition switch burned out a couple thousand miles from home.

With a negative earth Series rig you need the jumper and a started handle.

siiirhd88
07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Assuming your wiring is original:

On the rear of the ignition switch, there should be a brown wire (powered all the time, from the solenoid), a white wire (power to the ignition and other circuits when the key is "on" and a white wire with a red tracer (powered when the ignition switch is in 'start', to pickup the coil in the starter solenoid).

Take a length of wire with alligator clips on each end, clip from brown to white to power the ignition. Take another length of wire and momentarily jumper from brown or white to the white and red to start.

You can do similar jumpering from under the bonnet, brown wire on the solenoid to the white wire on the coil, and momentarily jumjpering to the white and red on the solenoid. Some solenoids even had a small pushbutton between the large posts to 'manually' crank the engine.

Hope this helps,
Bob

LaneRover
07-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Wait a minute..... your not some old Land Rover thief are you? Wait an old Land Rover thief would know how to start one of these.... maybe I should word that as you're not some new thief of Old Land Rovers are you?

Once my Rover was in LA and the keys were in San Diego. Which is one of the problems that you can have when oyu have more than one vehicle. I put power to the coil from the battery and she started right up.

LaneRover

jp-
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Can anyone tell me how to hotwir... er... I mean jumpstart my Ferrari. I seem to have misplaced my keys somewhere. It is a beautiful red 360.

Jared
07-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I knew I would get those types of responses:rolleyes:

After all that, I found the damn key. But this is all good information for the future.
thanks!