PDA

View Full Version : 200 TDI conversion 1968 Series IIa

Skookumchuck
07-20-2016, 06:55 PM
So I finally got my Red Rover back and fitted the turbo on it this afternoon. Big question it is a Disco motor how do I move the alternator it is front of the intake manifold. Is there a different bracket to fit it lower? Alos I have a new Disco TDI rad with built in intercooler. Should I just go back to the series rad and add an intercooler? I waited 4 years for this to be all done but other than the motor swap it is still in parts and I want to be back behind the wheel

o2batsea
07-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Robert Davis has a bracket that lets you put the alternator up where the air conditioner compressor goes.

Skookumchuck
07-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Robert Davis has a bracket that lets you put the alternator up where the air conditioner compressor goes.
Do you have contact info for Robert?

clearcut
07-21-2016, 10:01 AM
rdavisinva@yahoo.com

Josh T

east high
07-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Assuming your 68 is LHD and has inboard headlights, fitting an air/air intercooler in font of the Series radiator will be tricky to say the least. BT;DT and still working on a solution.

Mojave Rover
07-26-2016, 01:20 PM
I flipped the Disco radiator/inter cooler so the inter cooler was on the right-side (passenger). This then necessitates relocating (welding) the direction of the inter cooler's intake and out takes towards the left. I did this because the Saginaw steering box wanted to share the same space as the inter cooler. I have no idea where your fan is, but everything is a tight squeeze up front. I do not believe it will all fit if you incorporate the original radiator with a tdi swap.

o2batsea
07-28-2016, 07:11 AM
Honestly the LR stock intercooler is only useful in a truck where the radiator spans the whole breakfast. In my case I took off all the tins behind the headlight panel (before galvanizing) so I just have a flat thing. This freed up a huge amount of space which I promptly filled with a full-width intercooler, an AC condenser and the radiator. I did leave a bit of the top tin that holds the bonnet latch.
There are a ton of different configurations for ICs at cxracing.com, along with all the silicone and aluminum elbows you'll need to plumb it.

east high
07-28-2016, 12:06 PM
I decided to go the liquid/air intercooler route. You can mount the intercooler inside the engine bay and the smaller heat exchanger and coolant lines are much easier to mount and route than the bulky intercooler and air pipes. I haven't started on it yet. Still working on the custom oil cooler lines, which I should be getting later today.

Skookumchuck
08-02-2016, 11:48 PM
decided to put in the disco rad I bought and go with an electric fan. Got the fuel issue dealt with needed to replace the lift pump. So hopefully I get the atlernator issue fixed. then it will be the rerouting of the intercooler pipes and the new disc brake conversion and snorkel. So hope in a month to be driving up and down the road