PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case High Gear Thrust Washer #9027488

Correus
07-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Hello everyone -

Do any of you out there have any idea how thick the high gear thrust washer (#90217488) is supposed to be?

The parts book, nor the manual indicate how thick it is supposed to be and doesn't offer various sizes like it does for shims and spacers. If the actually do I can't seem to find it.

The problem is that end float is supposed to be between .006 & .008 and it isn't; right now it's right at .016.

The manual says:

"Adjustment of the high gear wheel end float is made by reducing the thickness of the thrust washer, or fitting a new thrust washer, as required. If fitting a new thrust washer fails to reduce the end float to the required limits, replace the shaft and/or the gear."

If I knew how thick a new thrust washer is it would help me figure out if I need to purchase a new one or not.

I have found no indication that this thrust washer can be purchased in various sizes or if shims are available

Thoughts? Advice?

SafeAirOne
07-21-2016, 11:13 PM
To paraphrase the WSM: If end play is excessive, spend the 6 bucks and replace the thrust washer. If the end play is still excessive, spring for a new gear+shaft.

Correus
07-22-2016, 07:59 AM
To paraphrase the WSM: If end play is excessive, spend the 6 bucks and replace the thrust washer. If the end play is still excessive, spring for a new gear+shaft.

Well...that's just it...how do I know replacing the gear and shaft will fix the issue? Seems a bit excessive.

I was able to speak to a Rover mechanic that has been working on Series Rovers for almost as long as I've been alive. He said he has run across this many times and replacing all tree parts doesn't fix the issue all the time either. He even expressed the same thought I had been thinking when it comes to the gear and shaft - "it's hard to justify replacing the gear and shaft when they are still in good condition." It seems to me that the gear and shaft are made of a much harder steel than the thrust washer. If there had been enough pressure and friction to wear down the gear and shaft enough to cause the larger gap that same pressure and friction would of destroyedthe thrust washer.

It turns out I did have a new thrust washer. I had it scratched off my list of parts to buy but I guess for some reason I purchased it at the last minute anyway.

The difference between the thickness of the old and new thrust washers was so minimal the new one wouldn't even decrease the gap by .001 in. The thrust washer that was on there is, as far as I can tell, the original one installed at the factory.

I guess what I'm wondering is this...if that is the original thrust washer (with very little wear), and those are the original gears and shaft (still in great shape), how was it allowed out of the factory with a .016 end float?

I did a lot more searching online and found several instances where people had end floats that went anywhere between .010 and .033. Several of these people bought new thrust washers and it helped but none of them bought a new gear and shaft resulting in the gap being fixed.

It's just frustrating that when it comes to end float this seems to be the only one where various sizes of washers or shims are available. Instead, they want you to replace a gear and shaft.

Sorry - wasn't intending to bitch...but it feels good to get it off my chest.

I do appreciate your reply though and did look into buying a new gear and shaft. I'm just not convinced that doing so would fix it based on what others have said.