PDA

View Full Version : New Elephant Hyde

Escargo
07-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Well, I finally broke down and bought a set of the new EH seats for my lla from our hosts. My truck originally had them but were in bad shape and had been badly recovered. The new fabric is not exactly like the originals. Looks close at a glance but seems lighter in weight and not as textured. In any case, I needed to reinstall the non-adjustable seat frames. Each seat back comes with two sets of bolts to attach to the frames but, of course, no instructions. One set of bolts is "shouldered" and definitely does not fit into the frames. The seatbacks themselves do not even have a bolt hole. I can feel an indent under the fabric which I'm assuming I poke a hole in(?). From what I remember, each original EH seatback had studs which fit into the frame. Is my memory impaired? Has anyone else recently bought these new seats? I do remember asking the salesperson if they had the studs and he said yes.

TeriAnn
07-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Well, I finally broke down and bought a set of the new EH seats for my lla from our hosts. My truck originally had them but were in bad shape and had been badly recovered. The new fabric is not exactly like the originals. Looks close at a glance but seems lighter in weight and not as textured.

I never purchased Exmoor Trim elephant Hyde seats but I did purchase and install their door panels about 5 years ago. When I removed the old panels a couple decades ago I saved a sample of the material that was folded over on the inside of the door cards because it hadn't seen decades of sunlight, dirt and wear. When I compared the new with the original I personally thought it was a close match of both colour and texture. MUCH SUPERIOR to Exmoor's early efforts. I didn't mic the thickness. The new door panels have been on for about 5 years new and still look new.

Sorry but I cannot comment on the seats as I switched to heated Defender front seats when I renewed the interior. The back lumbar support makes long distance driving a LOT more comfortable.

swingkeel
07-25-2016, 11:42 AM
We bought a set of front seats for our 1967 2a 109. The EH material is a close enough match for me anyway. Been in for a year or so and holding up fine. The seat bottoms sit in the frames. The seat backs are hinged at the base for tilting forward. The tops of the seat back are strapped to the crossbar (not part of the seat frames) with a short leather strap (this arrangement may be different on an 88. The way the hinge is created is different depending on whether the seat frame is the adjustable type or not. The adjustable type have a threaded inset in the seat back bottom side location which takes a bolt. The non-adjustable seat backs have a protruding dowel with a through hole for a cotter pin. There should be directions that come with the seats. The biggest problem is understanding what frames you have (if they are not stock) and making sure you are clear in the description with your order.

Michael

cedryck
07-25-2016, 02:25 PM
We bought a set of front seats for our 1967 2a 109. The EH material is a close enough match for me anyway. Been in for a year or so and holding up fine. The seat bottoms sit in the frames. The seat backs are hinged at the base for tilting forward. The tops of the seat back are strapped to the crossbar (not part of the seat frames) with a short leather strap (this arrangement may be different on an 88. The way the hinge is created is different depending on whether the seat frame is the adjustable type or not. The adjustable type have a threaded inset in the seat back bottom side location which takes a bolt. The non-adjustable seat backs have a protruding dowel with a through hole for a cotter pin. There should be directions that come with the seats. The biggest problem is understanding what frames you have (if they are not stock) and making sure you are clear in the description with your order.

MichaelHow is the quality? I don't mind paying if the quality is there, my original flat military seats are shot, the dogs killed them quick. Is there any type of conditioner to use to try and prolong the life span, besides keeping the heavy stout Terriers out of the front,,,,

Escargo
07-25-2016, 06:18 PM
Swingkeel, I possess both adj. and the original non-adj. seat frames. I wanted to put the EH seats on the non-adj. and specified the seatbacks w/ the studs. Simple mistake by RN. Problem solved today. Cedryck, I'll let you know after my own dog spends some time on these seats. The quality looks OK. But to my eye, not as tough as the old EH. Maybe it just has a softer feel. We'll see.

swingkeel
07-26-2016, 07:30 AM
I think the quality is very good, BUT, I don't think that they will stand up to the punishment that your pooches will deliver. You may want to consider an additional layer of protection. How about some pictures of the dogs ! ;)

Michael

cedryck
07-26-2016, 08:11 AM
I think the quality is very good, BUT, I don't think that they will stand up to the punishment that your pooches will deliver. You may want to consider an additional layer of protection. How about some pictures of the dogs ! ;)

MichaelThanks, Michael, I am debating to replace my shoddy interior with the lovely grey Elephant hide, or an original looking flat military style seat. Either way the pooches will poke holes in them as they have with the other set, so I installed a dog fence and one usually rides in the back while Top dog (been with us longer) rides up front.
As soon as I can figure out how to upload pictures, I will post some shots of the English Stafforshire Terriers. thanks for the reply.
Jeffrey

TeriAnn
07-26-2016, 11:52 AM
My sweet little puppy dog is NEVER allowed up front where his nails could damage my newish Defender seats.

But since dogs perspire through their lungs there are a lot of perspiration drips on the seats that I occasionally need to wipe away.

swingkeel
07-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Sweet? Maybe. Dog? Obviously. Little puppy? I DON'T THINK SO! Cool dog !:thumb-up: Is it one of these?

cedryck
07-27-2016, 08:26 AM
Sweet? Maybe. Dog? Obviously. Little puppy? I DON'T THINK SO! Cool dog !:thumb-up: Is it one of these?

11892That is an Irish Wolfhound the official Mascot of a branch of their Armed Forces.

TeriAnn
07-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Sweet? Maybe.

Oh always so. A dog park dog from the time he got his puppy shots. With me at stores that allow dogs, at local festivals, frequently out in public where he gets exposed to strangers. Constantly petted by children. He has been raised to believe that a stranger is a friend he hasn't met yet. My big warning to people: "He does lick".

Dog? Obviously. Little puppy? I DON'T THINK SO!

OK, he is five. But he will always be my sweet little puppy

Cool dog !:thumb-up: Is it one of these?

Yep. He's an Irish Wolfhound. He even has his own web page. (http://www.tjwakeman.net/Dogs/ORiley.htm) Lots of baby pictures there.

I see you are in Maryland. If you go to the Overland Expo East this October you can meet him in the author's tent where I will be introducing my new book "The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada. A Resource for Independent Travel and Camping (http://overlandtravel.us/)".

My baby dog is also my traveling and camping companion.

cedryck
07-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Sweet, looks sweet, but maybe not to strangers. My (car alarm) Staffy Terriers are nice to anyone as long as I am around the truck, not so nice if I walk away, one likes to growl at strangers. Love the picture Terriann!

TeriAnn
07-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Love the picture Terriann!

Thanks. That picture is on the chapter intro page of my chapter covering traveling with dogs. Hey, its my book so I didn't see any reason not to include a picture of my dog. It fairness the chapter has 2 pictures of my dog and 2 pictures of other people's dogs. ;)