PDA

View Full Version : Transfer box question

DGG
08-14-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my transmission. Never done it before. I just assembled the front output shaft housing and have attached it to the front of the transfer box. When I put the detent spring and plug in, and tighten the cap, I cannot push the transfer shaft either forward or backward. Will it be easier when the transfer shaft is installed giving more leverage? Seems like it is binding. Without the detent spring and plug in, I can move the transfer selector shaft very easily.

Also, just a lesson on the transfer selector shaft. When the shaft is fully forward, the front drive shaft flange does not spin. When the selector shaft is fully rearward, it engages the gears in the transfer box. Is this proper operation?

Thanks,
Doug(transmission newbie)

SafeAirOne
08-15-2016, 06:16 PM
When I put the detent spring and plug in, and tighten the cap, I cannot push the transfer shaft either forward or backward. Will it be easier when the transfer shaft is installed giving more leverage?

Yes. You should not be able to move the hi/low selector shaft by hand once the detent assembly is in place unless you have incredible hand strength.

When the shaft is fully forward, the front drive shaft flange does not spin. When the selector shaft is fully rearward, it engages the gears in the transfer box. Is this proper operation?

Which shaft are you talking about? One of them engages the front driveline when that shaft is forward. The other one engages low gear when rearward and high gear when forward.

Here's a crude animation I made of the process. It's pretty ingenious the way the transfer case shifting system works. You might have to watch it several times to see all that is taking place. One of these days I'll make a much better model/animation of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9uvVRFywk

DGG
08-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm talking about the red knobbed lever. Is that the transfer lever and corresponding shaft? When the transfer shaft is fully forward, I can spin the front drive shaft flange, and nothing in the transfer box spins. When the transfer shaft is fully rearward, then I can spin the gears by turning the front drive shaft flange. This is all with the locking pin engaged. The transfer selector fork is moving the big gear rearward.

When the locking pin is pulled up, then the gears spin in the transfer case with the transfer shaft forward and rearward. I believe that that pin when pulled out, locks the transfer case in four wheel drive?

Also, off topic a little, how important is precise end float when re-assembling this transmission?

SafeAirOne
08-16-2016, 06:47 AM
When the transfer shaft is fully forward, I can spin the front drive shaft flange, and nothing in the transfer box spins.

This is correct. Red lever fully forward with 4wd pin engaged = rear wheel drive high gear.

When the transfer shaft is fully rearward, then I can spin the gears by turning the front drive shaft flange.

This is correct. Red lever fully rearward with 4wd pin engaged = 4 wheel drive low gear.

When the locking pin is pulled up, then the gears spin in the transfer case with the transfer shaft forward and rearward. I believe that that pin when pulled out, locks the transfer case in four wheel drive?

This is semi-correct; Withdrawing the 4 wheel drive pin with the red lever forward engages the front wheel drive dog. Pulling the red lever fully rearward re-inserts the 4 wheel drive pin into the pivot assembly, but you are still in 4 wheel drive till you push the red lever all the way forward again, disengaging the front wheel drive dog.

Also, off topic a little, how important is precise end float when re-assembling this transmission?

I'm not sure. Probably somebody else can say for sure.