View Full Version : thinking of hub lockers

94d90va
08-15-2016, 03:17 PM
thinking of WARN or AVM....
what do you think ?

SIII 109

SafeAirOne
08-15-2016, 06:36 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE tell us that you're asking which of the two locking hub folks recommend and NOT the pros and cons of installing locking hubs in the first place!

We surely don't want to open THAT can of worms for the millionth time in internet history.

TeriAnn
08-16-2016, 12:42 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE tell us that you're asking which of the two locking hub folks recommend and NOT the pros and cons of installing locking hubs in the first place!

We surely don't want to open THAT can of worms for the millionth time in internet history.

Mark, the person asking the question is a RN forum newbie who missed the previous discussions. Perhaps a little more tolerance towards newbies might be a good idea. :cheers:

SafeAirOne
08-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Mark, the person asking the question is a RN forum newbie who missed the previous discussions. Perhaps a little more tolerance towards newbies might be a good idea. :cheers:

A mere lighthearted reply on a duplicate thread, certainly not intolerance (especially of a fifth-year "newbie"), I promise.

It was pretty plain that he was asking for advise in regards to the best choice between the two models of locking hubs and not the pros and cons of their employment, hence the levity. I probably ought to slap one of those smiley face thingies on there next time so there'll be no kerfuffle over it.

:)

cedryck
08-17-2016, 09:01 AM
I have had good luck and like the large knob on my Fairey hubs,

Les Parker
08-18-2016, 04:18 PM
My own answer : Don't !

slowmo
08-19-2016, 09:55 AM
My truck came with Warn locking hubs and I hadn't really given any thought of removing them. But one is stubborn and is hard to lock and impossible to unlock. I have to remove the six bolts and then loosen the entire hub to get it to unlock. Sooooo I can see some logic in removing them and going fixed. Can someone point me to the apparently contentious thread debates so I can be better informed. What parts would I need to obtain if I get rid of them? Thanks!!

o2batsea
08-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Best of both worlds...install unlocking hubs but leave them locked! Winner!

I Leak Oil
08-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Best of both worlds...install unlocking hubs but leave them locked! Winner!

I can't think of a more obvious statement. Kudos....

lumpydog
08-21-2016, 03:10 PM
My truck came with Warn locking hubs and I hadn't really given any thought of removing them. But one is stubborn and is hard to lock and impossible to unlock. I have to remove the six bolts and then loosen the entire hub to get it to unlock. Sooooo I can see some logic in removing them and going fixed. Can someone point me to the apparently contentious thread debates so I can be better informed. What parts would I need to obtain if I get rid of them? Thanks!!

Slo - I've found placing a hand on top of the tire and pushing/rocking forward and back on the tire, while turning the hub's lock mechanism, works well in clearing the mechanical binding created by the truck's forward or rearward weight on the hub.

I Leak Oil
08-21-2016, 03:27 PM
If the Warn M-11 is that difficult to turn then chances are the end of the axle shaft was never filed down. When the bolts are tightened it clamps the dial against the end of the stub shaft. Easy fix, remove the outer half, file down the end of the stub shaft and refit the hub. Just try to keep the filings out of the oil\grease.