PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead Vent Will Not Close

johnny2rovers
08-18-2016, 06:50 AM
One of the bulkhead vents on my '65 2A has never closed completely. The other operates just as it should.

I have looked and fiddled with it for years, but it just won't close all the way. It seems to bind at the top and I have thought about attempting to bend the hinges outward, but the last thing I want to do is break the welds.

Has anyone had a similar problem and what you do to fix it?

cedryck
08-18-2016, 07:49 AM
Sometimes the new vent rubber makes it difficult to close, mine were much more difficult to close after replacing the very decrepit original rubber seal, it is difficult to make it click into the last notch, To close all the way, someone can push on the outside, not much more I can do about it

johnny2rovers
08-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Good to know I am not the only one with the problem. Yes, the binding feels like it is at the top and due to the seal, however BOTH seals appear to be in good condition and one works properly and one doesn't.

From memory, I have loosened all bolts etc., trying to free up the operation. It just seems to have resistance in all positions, but mostly getting to that last notch, as you mentioned.

New bulkhead? Just kidding, maybe replace the seals. They may have hardened.

cedryck
08-19-2016, 07:05 AM
It's kind of laughable, but something so simple should work but gives me a problem. It's the least of my worries, cheers!