PDA

View Full Version : Rear layshaft bearing installation

DGG
08-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm trying to install the layshaft into to gear box. I have the mainshaft in, and the reverse gear in. The rear layshaft bearing race is seated in the rear of the gear box, and the inner bearing is installed on the rear end of the layshaft. I cannot for the life of me seat the bearing and shaft into the bearing race. Is there a trick? Where does the reverse gear need to be in relation to the 1st speed gear on the end of the layshaft? Should the 3rd speed gear be on the layshaft while I'm trying to do this, or can I put that on when I get the layshaft on? When trying to seat the bearing, some of the bearings hit the edge of the race and come out slightly preventing the bearing from going in. Very frustrating.

Thanks.

I Leak Oil
08-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Does the layshaft and bearing fit if you remove the mainshaft? Try that to make sure first. If it does then you need to start fiddling with everything until it drops into place. Having 3 hands helps...

DGG
08-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm going to try to put the layshaft in first. I have to wait for a new bearing. I messed up the bearing trying to put the layshaft in.