PDA

View Full Version : Series III diesel motor rebuild.

broll77
08-31-2016, 02:30 AM
My series has been torn down since it arrived in April. Trying to decide where to go with the engine. Reseal, rebuild or buy one done? Anyone have any suggestions? I should mention I'm proficient with body and basic mechanics but have never resealed a motor past an emergency head gasket assist (that was successful on the short term it was used).

Im in the Poughkeepsie NY area. Any suggestions as to doing it myself, having it done or trying to source a motor already done would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Brian

o2batsea
08-31-2016, 09:05 AM
Unless you are really in love with one of the worst engines ever put in a vehicle, I would steer you towards a 200tdi Been down this long road for a while. Just sayin.

parrie
08-31-2016, 09:24 AM
My series has been torn down since it arrived in April. Trying to decide where to go with the engine. Reseal, rebuild or buy one done? Anyone have any suggestions? I should mention I'm proficient with body and basic mechanics but have never resealed a motor past an emergency head gasket assist (that was successful on the short term it was used).

Im in the Poughkeepsie NY area. Any suggestions as to doing it myself, having it done or trying to source a motor already done would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Brian

What are your plans for the truck? Daily driver, off-roading, concourse restoration? I'm assuming you have the 2.25 NA diesel correct? If your not looking for speed & power I'd stick w/ the 2.25 diesel. What is situation w/ current engine...does it run or is it dead? If your budget can handle it I'd look at sourcing a used running motor first, a rebuilt unit second. If you have the cash I'd probably take the mystery out of it & go w/ a freshly rebuilt.

cedryck
08-31-2016, 03:12 PM
From what I know of the Landrover diesel engines the previous comment is spot on, low on power, notoriously unreliable, and you will fiddle with it more then the gas engine. The only one I have ever worked on was a PIA. Smoked like an banshee, the injection pump never seemed to work right, and frankly it just about moved the vehicle. You might want to consider what it would cost (to rebuild the diesel) to purchase a petrol engine, they can be built up to make great power for the four banger that it is, and despite myself wishing a little more MPG out of mine, I am very pleased with the Turner rebuilt I have, good power, and regular work needed. Just my 2P. cheers!

SafeAirOne
08-31-2016, 07:19 PM
From what I know of the Landrover diesel engines the previous comment is spot on, low on power, notoriously unreliable, and you will fiddle with it more then the gas engine.

Must have been something wrong with that particular engine; Generally, the Rover diesels are notoriously RELIABLE and require almost NO fiddling at all. Ever.

My questions to the OP regarding his options would be:

1) What's wrong with the current engine?

2) How do you plan to use the rover?

3) Are you on a budget or are you free to do whatever it takes to get this truck the way you want it?

broll77
09-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I was hoping to stay diesel, but would consider switching pending a good deal. Any suggestions on where to look for a good tdi? The goal at this point to have a good reliable driver. The current motor is running, just leaky and feels tired (I bet they all feel like this!). Plus I don't know anything about the past history of the current motor and the way the vehicle was advertised, I'm afraid to really know.

Picked up my frame from Rover North yesterday, so I have time to decide. Just working in a plan of attack at this point.

cedryck
09-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Safeairone,
It is entirely possible that the engine we worked on was poor, very poor. I would like to meet and hear one that was right.

mongoswede
09-02-2016, 01:49 PM
If considering an engine swap to something newer and more powerful just beware you might open the door to Pandora's box. More engine power could light the fuse for a new gearbox, new axles, better brakes..etc.

broll77
09-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Completely valid point..... After doing a bit more research and thinking about it I think I'd like to just have this engine gone thru and plug it back in. I have no concerns doing the frame and bulkhead repairs and work but the actual engine has me pretty nervous. Anyone have a recommendation for a NY area mechanic that would reseal? Idea on cost etc?

Thanks!

o2batsea
09-12-2016, 10:51 AM
You have to remove the crankshaft to reseal it, so you are looking at a major teardown just for what you consider to be minor refresh. Personally, I would just put it back in as-is, get it running and driving and see how you feel in a year or two.