PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing layshaft into gearbox

DGG
09-08-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm rebuilding my transmission in my 1961 109 station wagon. I'm currently working on the gearbox. I installed the reverse gears and the mainshaft. I'm now trying to get the layshaft in, but having major problems. I have the bearing race installed into the rear of the gearbox, and the roller bearings on the rear end of the layshaft. I'm on my third bearing from Rovers North. I can't seem to get the bearings to seat into the cup that they came out of. Any tricks from anyone who has rebuilt their transmission? Seems like the main shaft and the revers gears are just in the way, but I was told that the main shaft goes in before the lay shaft. It's a blind fit, and if one of the rollers hits the edge of the cup, game over, have to start again.

Thanks,

slowmo
09-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Early transmission have a 15 tooth first gear. Later transmissions have a 14 tooth first gear. You need to make sure the 1st gear on the layshaft matches the number of teeth on the first gear mainshaft. This happened to me and I ruined two of the roller bearings in the process. Once I had matching gears, and holding the reverse up with a socket inserted underneath, it went right in.

Here is a link to my tranny rebuild which may help.

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?15962-Oh-noooo-tranmission!!&highlight=transmission

DGG
09-11-2016, 03:53 PM
David,
Thanks for the response. I can relate to your post #25 in your thread. I have the 1st gear of the mainshaft held up, and the reverse gears held up with paper towels, but it still will not go in. As soon as a roller gets hung up, it's game over, start all over. I am using Vaseline to try to keep the rollers in position. Should I be using something heavier?

Also, I have been thinking about another plan of action. What if I take the race out of the rear of the gearbox and install it on the bearing on the lay shaft, and try installing it that way. I will have someone heating up the back of the gear box for easy insertion of the whole bearing. Any thoughts on that?

It's amazing how easy the race goes on the bearing outside of the gear box.

Thanks

leafsprung
09-11-2016, 11:48 PM
what brand of bearing is it?

-Ike

DGG
09-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Proline bearing from RN. Made in China. Land Rover bearing NLA.

slowmo
09-12-2016, 09:50 AM
I am assuming you have the tranny pointing upwards with the race on the bottom. I put a socket under the reverse to hold it up. Once I had the correct gear combination, it really just plopped in with no force. Once you use any force, you can probably order another bearing. It is really a terrible design, but it is what it is.

I don't think the roller bearing is stout enough to survive the impact loading required to seat the race (rubber mallet).