PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive clutch sleeve for the fairey Overdrive

Basil6
09-08-2016, 01:46 PM
I took the 2A 88 inch on trip over weekend. It has the 2.25 5 main bearing engine and 16 inch wheels. i have a fairey overdrive fitted. I was towing a small trailer and did just fine. . Anyway got to thinking- not a good thing- .....

After how many miles should one pull the overdrive out and inspect that clutch sleeve. Does the clutch sleeve fail typically fail 50k or 100k or? Or are there any symptoms that tell you the clutch sleeve is bad and about to ruin your day?

My overdive works fine. I'm very gentle with it. I only use it in 4th and occassionaly 3rd. To engage I only double clutch. I do not disengage on the move. I wait till I stop and then take it out of overdive. I change the oil every 6k miles and I always inspect levels at 1k miles.

Any advice appreciated.

Best

superstator
09-08-2016, 04:45 PM
My impression was that the thrust bearings are the weak link - they take most of the stress under load, and when they fail they can take the case and layshaft with them. The clutch sleeve by comparison doesn't have a lot to do. If you want to be conservative I suppose you could pull it every 6k when you do the oil and inspect everything thoroughly. Removing and reinstalling the Fairey is pretty easy, especially if you've still got the stock intermediate gear lying around.

Does anybody still stock parts for them now that George has retired?

clearcut
09-08-2016, 07:16 PM
what is the part number for the stock:

stock intermediate gear

thanks

josh

superstator
09-08-2016, 08:47 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=521330&type=0&eq=&key=it

Or try part #521330

Most places have it out of stock/nla. If you actually need one, best bet is probably begging around here or gunsandrovers.

Les Parker
09-09-2016, 06:14 AM
RN generally can come up with a used gear and end cap for around $100.00
2p