PDA

View Full Version : 9 inch vs 9.5 inch clutch

timc930
09-10-2016, 09:26 PM
I have a 63 IIa, 2.5. Not going to upgrade engine, or add a lot of weight. I don't pull heavy trailers. Is there any reason to upgrade to the 9.5? I have both, but unless it's a big improvement, I really don't want to pull the FW to have it skimmed and go thru the 2-4 week machine shop wait. I'd prefer to just stick in the 9 inch and be done.

tim

I Leak Oil
09-11-2016, 05:54 AM
No real reason to change. If you're replacing it then I'd surface the flywheel as a matter of course.

Les Parker
09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
X 2, definitely worth the wait to get it resurfaced.

timc930
09-26-2016, 07:08 PM
Pulled the tranny yesterday and dropped FW off at machine shop today, should get it back Thursday morning. Installing the 9.5inch clutch. Funny thing, when I pulled the old clutch out, the PP was fine, still strong. After further investigation, both pins on the release lever had sheared in the middle, with both ends still intact, so could not tell just by looking at it. Due to all the other issues that I found (missing bell housing studs (4), all fasteners for drive shafts, and bell housing to engine were only hand tight, transmission mounts broken, and I also removed the screaming Fairey OD and installed the gear and backing plate, as well as thoroughly cleaned everything, so over all I am glad i pulled the trans. If all goes well, I'll have it all back together this upcoming weekend.

Thanks for all of the advice Arthur....

tim