PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Shaft removal questions

griswald
09-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Hello all, I have a new rocker shaft and new rocker arm bushings for my 1971 2a SWB. I am wondering if I need to drain the coolant before I remove the 5 rocker tower HEAD BOLTS to take the assembly off the head?

Is there a protocol for this? I have looked in the Green Bible and also online and I am not clear as to the procedure...apologies if it is a goofy question...Thanks for your help!

Final question, if I do drain the coolant off do I need to replace the head gasket?

Thanks for any advice!

Griswald

parrie
09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
No, coolant should not have to be drained to remove the rocker shaft bolt nor do you need to replace head gasket if you do happen to drain coolant. Good luck

griswald
09-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Thank you so much! This makes life easier. I was worried I would need to drain coolant or untighten head bolts in a sequence or something British like that! :thumb-up:

Best,
Griswald

Les Parker
09-22-2016, 04:52 PM
It begs the question, why are you replacing the rocker shaft and bushings?

griswald
09-22-2016, 05:25 PM
I have a tick and sometimes a metallic squeak around valve 7. I removed all and have found the rocker shaft a bit worn and scratched underneath. I will post a picture soon...

Contractor
09-23-2016, 07:22 AM
I have a tick and sometimes a metallic squeak around valve 7. I removed all and have found the rocker shaft a bit worn and scratched underneath. I will post a picture soon...

Maybe that's it, but I would bet you have worn rollers.

griswald
09-24-2016, 10:31 AM
That is an interesting hypothesis...

If it is a worn roller, will I need to worry about the camshaft also? Should I replace ALL of the tappet assemblies?

Thanks for all the help!

Les Parker
09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Engineering practice would suggest it would be prudent to change all whilst you are there.

griswald
09-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Thank you Les, to clarify, you mean change all tappet roller assemblies, and also the camshaft, correct?

kb1iaw
09-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Thank you Les, to clarify, you mean change all tappet roller assemblies, and also the camshaft, correct?

I had a trusted mechanic inspect the parts after I got some bad rollers that failed shortly after the engine rebuild. The cam and tappets were damaged too. The tappet guides were still in good condition so I reused those.