PDA

View Full Version : Wheel & Tire Options for a 73 III --> rookie questions

ninescorpions
09-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Hey guys,
So new here and new to the Rover scene. I have acquired my Grandfather's Rover that has sat in a garage for the last 20 years. I recall driving it when I was a teenager and my late cousin was a big part of that as we drove it around at the lake during the summers in Virginia. So I am ultra excited to get it back on the road and want to restore it to glory. My grandma is 100% behind the effort and I want to get it back to glory while she is around to see it. It is a 73 Series III (88 I believe), petrol 2.3. Right now she is in the shop getting basics done just to get it running (needs some carb work, brake work, needs a clutch, and the key...it needs tires). It has had the same tires on it for the last 30 years. Amazingly enough they still hold air, but that is about all they are good for.

So while the shop works on the tough stuff, I have been looking for tires. I want to keep the classic look of the Rover, but am interested in giving it minor face lifts here and there to give it a little bit of modern appeal, but not much. I know it has 15" rims on it and from what I can read they are 5.5" wide. I see restorations going from a 15" rim to a 16" rim. At British Atlantic and RoversNorth, I see the same 16x5.5 black rims offered. I am not saying I do not want to keep the 15's, but just researching. From what I can see, the 16's would take a 235/85/16. But those tires are calling for a minimum of a 6" wide rim. I cannot find that size offering for a 15" rim.

I attached two photos...one of my Rover as-is and then one I am using a benchmark of where I want to go. I want a little wider tire than what came stock, but not over kill. Anyone have experience in this realm and care to offer input? I honestly do not want the super skinny tires as they came stock. Those in the photo are where I want to be.

On a side note, I am really looking forward to getting out to one of the events and meeting other owners. My Rover has been at the shop for a few weeks and it is the center of attention with already a few offers to buy it. The answer is simple for me...there is no price that can buy it. But thanks for asking :)

Cheers!

Tim

clearcut
09-23-2016, 09:39 AM
"From what I can see, the 16's would take a 235/85/16. But those tires are calling for a minimum of a 6" wide rim. I cannot find that size offering for a 15" rim. "

I run 235/85/16 on my 109. To run this tire size, you due a 16 inch rim

josh T

cedryck
09-23-2016, 10:22 AM
I like 15's. I have about a 31" high 15 inch BFG mud terrain, not sure of the numbers off hand. They do well in snow, mud, and rocks. Wear just like any other off road tire, so rotate them. Congratulations on your Rover,,

parrie
09-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Good Looking truck! You are correct...Series III 88", 2.25. IMO this is an awesome year to restore/refurbish...should have the syncro transmission, 5-bolt main bearing & good brake system. You can research the vin number (LR Fact Website)and find out some more particulars on the truck. On the tires...most guys that want the stock look go 16" rims w/ the 235/85s tires as they are about as close as you can get to the stock 7.50 x 16 tires...about the same height but a bit wider. The ones in your picture appear to be 16" but can't say for sure if they are 235s...maybe 245s. You could also stay w/ the 15" rims and go w/ a 31" tire to get approximately the same height as the 235/16s.

Is your mechanic familiar w/ land rovers? If you run into any snags just post a question...there's a wealth of info on the forum. Also, check out the Guns & Rovers forum, lots of info & good people there as well. Keep us posted, Good Luck!

Enigma
09-26-2016, 06:54 PM
What are the 15 inch numbers for 31 in height?

cedryck
09-27-2016, 12:17 PM
I will get back to that question, about the 15 inch tires, I am at work.

ninescorpions
09-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks Josh! So I assume your 16" rims are the stock Rover rims and they are 5.5" wide? On tire rack, I am looking at the Firestone Destination M/T 235/85/16 and it says the minimum is a 6" wide rim. I assume you are working slightly out of the spec, but without issue?

ninescorpions
09-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks parrie!
My mechanic is the best around and they are doing fine so far with figuring things out. If they get stuck...you will hear about it :) Thanks for the info on tires. I am thinking to order a set of 16" stock Rover rims and 235/85/16 Firestone Destination M/T tires. Tirerack says those tires need a 6" wide rim, but it seems people are running them anyway. Or I am missing something. It is super frustrating to figure things out on this truck, but at the same time the challenge is fun. :)

o2batsea
09-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Order wheels? There are hundreds of people in the Land Rover community that will surely GIVE you some wheels that are just sitting around doing nothing but hatching mosquitoes.
Highly recommend the Wrangler Dura-tracs in 235-85 16. Also the General Grabbers in the same size. 235-85 16 is the rough equivalent of the 7.50x16 tires that Land Rover put on the 109 models.

Hauser
09-28-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm a new owner too and I've also been looking at wheel options. Mine sits on parabolic springs which seem to have lifted it some, it's on 205X80X16 at present and looks like a damn postal truck.

There are several complexities..

First of all, the 16" rims are 5.5 inches wide. Lots of people run 235 X 85 tires on them but this is technically a no-no. It might become an issue with your insurance if you were in an accident. I think Firestone has a destination tire that's 215X85, and that's probably the 'right' modern tire for these wheels. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+M/T&partnum=185R6DESTMTV2

You can also track down a 7.5X16 tire which is a rare size. You can get agricultural (read: tractor) tires in this size. With the exception of the very expensive Michelin radial tires sold here, tires in this size are "bias ply" which is outdated technology. They get out of round sitting and take a few miles to get back into a round shape. If you're looking for cheap, period correct tires, these are an option. Cheap ones are made by Powerking (the super traction II) but they are also now remaking the buckshot mudder tires which are sold by national wheel and tire (about $150 a piece). The buckshot mudders are a legendary off road tire but, again, bias ply and probably not a great street tire.

The other option is new rims which open up a world of possibilities. The problem here is that the wheel studs are super short. The bolt pattern is fairly unusual (but same as disco 1 rovers). You should be able to swap out the wheel studs by hammering out the olds and pulling the new ones through the hub by tightening a nut down on them (with washer behind it of course). It's a simple enough affair, you tube has videos showing you how. The problem is the studs. The rover ones from the defender series trucks (which are longer) are like $12 or $14 bucks A PIECE! You'll have almost as much invested in the studs as you will the rims. There are also much longer ones sold by Zeus engineering which aren't cheap either. I've found these at ezaccessories http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_Studs_16X1_5_p/st25.htm which $1.50 a piece and are reported to work (see discussion at http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/extended-wheel-studs-11511-3.html )
sidenote: If anyone can comment on the EZ accessory studs, I would appreciate it!

With longer studs you can mount the popular wolf military wheels that are available in 6.5" as well as 7". I think you'd be able to mount alloy wheels as well with Zeus or EZ accessory studs, anything with a bolt pattern matching a discovery 1 vehicle. The steel rims used on the discovery 1 spare tires are also popular and look 'right'. There's the 15" 5 spoke wheels but some feel the look is wrong. I tend to agree. I THINK any rims other than the 5.5" rims are going to technically require longer wheel studs.

Now, lots of people have put the wolf wheels and the 5 spoke 15" modulars on a series truck without changing the studs. The bolt doesn't stick out of the nut, in fact, it doesn't even sit flush. To me, that's scary and I play fast and loose with a lot of stuff. But lots of people do it without any apparent issue. Same applies to the 235 tires on a 15" rim. It's all about your comfort zone.

Wheel spacers are another option (sold here) but they I don't care for them for a number of reasons we don't need to get into. They're also expensive as heck to boot.

ninescorpions
09-28-2016, 10:11 PM
I had no idea that people would be giving anything away in this arena. But good to know! Is there a buy/sell/give away section of the forum?

I think I have decided which direction I am headed and I think it will buck the system a bit, but I want a particular look and the original look on this truck from a tire perspective leaves something to be desired (IMO). I am gonna keep my 15" rims...get all the rust off and spray them in Limestone. I am now looking at the Firestone Destination M/T's 235/75/15. I really like the tread pattern, it has good reviews, and I prefer not to have such a tall looking tire (like the 85). I know it will buck the look that OEM provided, but my vision remains the truck I pictured on my first post.

Good input Hauser and o2batsea :) Any other input is welcome...I am still learning.

parrie
09-29-2016, 05:57 AM
I had no idea that people would be giving anything away in this arena. But good to know! Is there a buy/sell/give away section of the forum?

I think I have decided which direction I am headed and I think it will buck the system a bit, but I want a particular look and the original look on this truck from a tire perspective leaves something to be desired (IMO). I am gonna keep my 15" rims...get all the rust off and spray them in Limestone. I am now looking at the Firestone Destination M/T's 235/75/15. I really like the tread pattern, it has good reviews, and I prefer not to have such a tall looking tire (like the 85). I know it will buck the look that OEM provided, but my vision remains the truck I pictured on my first post.

Good input Hauser and o2batsea :) Any other input is welcome...I am still learning.

I like your thinking...make the truck what you want it to be...there is nothing wrong w/ a 15" rim & tire combo and a lot of guys prefer them. As for buy/sell/trade on the forum...there is a vehicle for sale section but the sale of parts is not aloud as our host is a part retailer. Check out the Guns & Rovers forum, always parts for sale and info. Good luck w/ the truck...keep us posted.

mankins
10-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Hey-

Welcome to Series Land Rovers! First of all, where in Virginia are you? I live in Richmond. I have a '73 88" like yours, but in Poppy Red. We keep it in Scottsville, VA. I also have a 1960 88" and it is in Richmond awaiting my time and attention.

Both of mine have 15" rims and have not had any issues with tire choices. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress!

Phil

ninescorpions
10-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Hey Phil,
I am located in Covington, VA...northwest of Roanoke. Do you drive your 73 often? I just bought a set of Firestone Destination M/T 235/75r15's. They are exactly what I was looking for. I am getting the 15" rims sandblasted and am going to spray them the original Limestone. I tried to wirebrush clean them...but they are simply too rusted even with using power. It took me the most of one afternoon to do the face of one rim. I waved the white flag and will pay for the sandblasting from a local shop. I will post some pictures when done. Right now the Rover is still in the shop getting a new carb, brake work, and clutch work. I hope to have her registered, insured, and on the road by the end of this month.

Can you post of picture of your 73?

Cheers!

Tim

bls72bmw
11-09-2016, 05:53 PM
I went with this on my spare from amazon, $150

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro All-Terrain Radial Tire - LT215/85R16 115/112Q

the 215 size seems as big as I would want to go- I know others suggest the 235 but the wheel fills out quite nicely with the 215. I will have to replace all of them soon since if you run it too long on pavement with mis-matched sizes you can 'wind up and snap' a half shaft (from reading, not from experience).

.02cents

P.S.
Please don't paint that truck! Leave her as she is....there are just not enough well loved SIIIs with original patina left....and everyone wants to paint the GALV and make it look 'newish'. It's classy with battle scars and a pock mark here or there. They are campaign scars!