PDA

View Full Version : Hot Coil

mpreston14
09-23-2016, 01:28 PM
While doing the compression testing on my 2.25 (that has sat for 30+ years now) the coil (new) got hot...not just hot, but burn the crap out of you hot! Again, this was just during the compression tests, a few seconds at a time. Is this normal? If not, any ideas as to what to look for?

Thanks,

Mike

cedryck
09-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Not normal. It should not get hot, or get that hot. Is it hooked up properly? Are the points set and gapped properly?

mpreston14
09-23-2016, 05:41 PM
The points are set and gapped correctly, I'll double check though.

lumpydog
09-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Also - be sure not to leave the key in position 2. One click clockwise. That could contribute

whitehillbilly64
09-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Hi Mike.
Might be the type of coil bought.
is ' use with resistor ' written on the coil ?
I had a hot coil. This is the reply I got.
'' Use with a resistor '' means that it is a six volt coil that is run in two ways . When starting the coil receives a full 12 volts through six volt windings , this helps cold starts when the battery can't supply the starter and ignition with a full current . Once the starter solenoid has cut out the ignition current is switched through a resistor that reduces the nominal 12 volts down to six , without it the extra current will burn the points and overheat the coil . Resistors are usually big ceramic blocks , about half the size of a match box and screwed to the fire wall somewhere .
I change to a non resistor type, and it stayed cool.

whitehillbilly

mpreston14
09-25-2016, 02:22 PM
It's a Proline Coil purchased from our hosts here. Will look for anything about a resistor next time I get to the truck. Thanks for the help!

mearstrae
09-25-2016, 07:58 PM
Be sure to use a points coil with a points distributor and an electronic ign. coil with a breakerless distributor. If a Pertronix ignition is used in place of points, I think they also require a points type coil. This on top of all the rest of the helpful hints.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S