PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, question about FFR Series 3

gasbuggy
09-28-2016, 02:44 AM
Hi, I am new to Land Rovers but have been bit by the bug. I am very mechanically inclined, not a professional, but I am equipped to work on one of these. I was offered a chance to buy what looks like a well kept right hand drive FFR Land Rover. All the radio equipment is missing. It needs a little TLC, and in my opinion some fresh paint, appears someone went at it with a house paint roller. I understand that these are less common and have 24v systems. I was hoping that members of this forum could give me a better idea what a fair value is? Records of sales are uncommon. It has about 70,000 miles on it, engine looks like it was refreshed at some point. Trans is leaking at the rear, one rear axle is also. It has radial tires which I does not look proper. But all in all it's not bad. I like the curved rear glass in the corners of the cab and I find the truck look to be very cool.

Thanks for reading my post.

cedryck
09-28-2016, 07:17 AM
Welcome, and congratulations. Not sure on the value to be honest, someone here will chime in with that. I can tell you that my 88 was a 24 volt military Rover. When I purchased it 18 years ago (for 3 thousand $) it was pretty rough. I did a total rebuild and converted to 12 volt. I do know that 24 volt items tend to be expensive, but are available. I also know that brush or roller painting is pretty common on military trucks. The "cammo" paint was usually done by hand. Most gearbox, transfer box, axles, are leaky by design. Keep checking this site, more people will have something to say, cheers.

Hauser
09-28-2016, 11:56 AM
I just bought a rover myself a little more than a month ago, here are my thoughts.

I don't have a FFR but I think you're going to be pretty good with electronics when all is said and done! I did read somewhere that the 24v system is a better system from an electrical standpoint because you can carry the same current with smaller cables. I'm not certain I'd convert it to 12v personally. As to oil leaks, well I haven't had mine for long and it's in pretty good shape but leaks oil like a sieve! If it isn't leaking oil, then it's out. I suggest you begin by checking oil levels in both differentials, transmission, transfer case, overdrive if you have one, engine of course, front wheel hubs, steering box and don't forget the relay box behind the grille.

To the paint, unfortunately mine has very good paint on it. I think some house paint and other roughness on the body (genuine not purposefully 'antiqued') is half the charm on these cars. The body is aluminum after all, if the paint comes off it won't rust. I'd worry first about the mechanicals before getting into cosmetics. Just about everything on these trucks takes oil and leaks oil!

Welcome to the rover cult, friend.

cedryck
09-28-2016, 01:21 PM
So when rebuilding my truck, I made a compromise, keep it 24 volt, and have to invest in expensive components,($$),or, convert to 12. So that was my decision, new harness, and 12 volt electronics. My paint was 7 layers of military, hand painted layers.
Periodically checking oil levels in a Rover is sound advice, it will leak, and eliminate all of it if not renewed.
As far as paint, I hand painted (roller) my military truck, and I think it looks great, a little rough, but period correct.

gasbuggy
09-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Thank you for the replies so far. All the lights and gauges seem to work. This rover was flat olive drab and painted camo only once (based on what I've scratched off on a corner). I am equipped to paint at my parents home garage. I thought it would be interesting to smooth the paint out with my sander and shoot it with a satin olive drab, perhaps by mixing some clear coat with an olive primer. It has a double layer roof (not sure what the correct term is). That roof is white currently. I would prefer that the wheel/roof/bumper color match. As of now it is all mismatched. Not sure what I would do as the accent color. Maybe white, black, or sand.

I know some would leave the camo, but where I live camo paint is perceived as more of a redneck choice than as military purpose.

gasbuggy
10-01-2016, 08:08 PM
The internet is a wonderful thing. I found the prior owner and spoke with him. It was forsale on this forum last year, pics in the link http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?16229-1984-109-2-25-FFR-safari-roof-pick-up

It has a turner motor in it. It started instantly with no smoke. Current owner says it is very fast and was good for 75-80 mph on the highway without overdrive but it is screaming at those speeds. The nice seats have been swapped for some regular ones. The clutch is slipping unfortunately. The odometer is in Kilometers so mileage is much lower than I thought. It can move around but driving it home won't happen. I actually had to shut it off quickly because fuel was leaking out of the new carb onto the manifold (stuck float maybe). The owner is going to fix that issue and I will come back next week.

There was a metal boxed cover that seemed to be leaking in the drivers side (RHD) wheel well. Any idea what that covers?

stomper
10-01-2016, 10:13 PM
That metal boxed cover is the steering box. They often leak. Try using something thicker than EP90 in it so you can drive it for a while. Some like Lucas Hub oil, others like Land Rover one shot grease.