PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Flasher

timc930
10-04-2016, 02:54 PM
1963 Series IIa: Turn Signals quit working.I have been able to trace the wires from the Turn Signal "Actuator" on the steering column to the lights, but I am unable to trace the wires to the power source and or fuse block. I removed the Dr side Fender to inspect the Clutch Master Cylinder, and in doing so, I disconnected the wires to the lights. I reconnected. All lights work fine except turn signals front and rear.

SafeAirOne
10-04-2016, 10:56 PM
1) NONE of the turn signals work at all, or just the left side?

2) What do you mean "been able to trace the wires"? Just identified/located the wires, or put a meter on them looking for 12v?

timc930
10-05-2016, 07:38 AM
1) NONE of the turn signals work at all, or just the left side?

2) What do you mean "been able to trace the wires"? Just identified/located the wires, or put a meter on them looking for 12v?

1) None of the turn signals work, all other lights (headlights, parking lights, brake lights) work.

2)Identified/located.

cedryck
10-05-2016, 09:43 AM
1) None of the turn signals work, all other lights (headlights, parking lights, brake lights) work.

2)Identified/located.

Grounds, check for appropriate grounding.

SafeAirOne
10-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Grounds, check for appropriate grounding.

That'd be my first thing to check also, especially where lots of lights ground inside the top of the radiator support panel (at least on the SIII).

I'd also have a look at the lower right corner of the wiring diagram for the SIIA negative earth electrical system (linked on the Bottom of the page on the RN online catalog under SI SII/A SIII -> ELECRTIC SYSTEM). This will show you the typical electrical paths for the turn signal system, probably for a positive earth as well.

timc930
10-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Agreed and understood.

IIRC, turn signals worked fine before I R&R'd Dr Side Fender and Trans to first inspect the clutch master cylinder and then replace clutch. I reconnected all the wires, correctly up at the corner of the radiator when I reinstalled the fender, so I know that's not the problem. But, as you guys are saying, I do need to recheck all the grounds, problem is, I just don't remember disconnecting any grounds when I R&R'd fender and trans.

The grounds for the side marker lights and turn signals connect to the same ground at the radiator, which "appears" to go back towards the bulkhead, and the side marker (parking) lights work fine, which tells me the ground is fine, since they both share the same ground.

I R&R'd the dash panel with speedo, and located what appears to be the flasher unit, as well as locating a bunch of grounds, which I checked. Maybe the turn signals quit before I replaced the clutch and I just didn't notice, and it could be the flasher unit.

Again, From what I can tell, the front parking/marker and turn signal lights share the same ground up front, and the marker lights work fine, so that tells me the grounds up front are good?????

SafeAirOne
10-05-2016, 09:58 PM
problem is, I just don't remember disconnecting any grounds when I R&R'd fender and trans.

If you disconnected the wires when you removed the fender, then you disconnected power wires TO the light AND ground wires FROM the light (each lamp assembly has 2 wires, one that supplies power and one that returns it to the battery through a ground path on negative earth vehicles. Power flows the other direction on positive earth vehicles, but the concept is the same).

Also, "connected" doesn't necessarily mean there's a good ELECTRICAL path between one wire and the next, especially on ancient contacts, where oxidation can prevent the two connectors from ever making any real metal-to-metal contact with each other.

timc930
10-05-2016, 10:55 PM
If you disconnected the wires when you removed the fender, then you disconnected power wires TO the light AND ground wires FROM the light (each lamp assembly has 2 wires, one that supplies power and one that returns it to the battery through a ground path on negative earth vehicles. Power flows the other direction on positive earth vehicles, but the concept is the same).

Also, "connected" doesn't necessarily mean there's a good ELECTRICAL path between one wire and the next, especially on ancient contacts, where oxidation can prevent the two connectors from ever making any real metal-to-metal contact with each other.

Sorry, I was not clear. When I stated that I did not remember disconnecting any grounds when I R&R'd fender and trans, I mean't in addition to the grounds at the fender/radiator corner. Those I have cleaned and connected several times to ensure that I have good contact.

I'll double check those connections again.

cedryck
10-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Sorry, I was not clear. When I stated that I did not remember disconnecting any grounds when I R&R'd fender and trans, I mean't in addition to the grounds at the fender/radiator corner. Those I have cleaned and connected several times to ensure that I have good contact.

I'll double check those connections again.

Check everything you disconnected for continuity, my experience with disconnecting bullets has left me in pain, they connect well, but don't come apart will, they often break,

timc930
11-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks all, it was the flasher unit/relay itself.