PDA

View Full Version : How to remove and replace the front Chassis Bushing Need Help

clearcut
10-21-2016, 12:19 PM

Well, we are onto the front end work of my 1967 Tan NADA. First thing was broken spring! Your view on a cause?

Also, need help or tricks on how to remove the the large chassis bushing and replace with a new. Is there tread already on this issue?:cool:

thanks

josh

cedryck
10-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Well, we are onto the front end work of my 1967 Tan NADA. First thing was broken spring! Your view on a cause?

Also, need help or tricks on how to remove the the large chassis bushing and replace with a new. Is there tread already on this issue?:cool:

thanks

josh
Usual reason for breaking, age and or fatigue. The rust will contribute to that as well. Possible over stressed. Not unusual, I have seen them broken in half.

parrie
10-21-2016, 02:02 PM

thanks

josh

Best guess on the spring breakage would be age. Several different ways to remove the bushing depending on what you have for tools. IMO easiest way is to remove the inner sleeve and rubber via a hole saw or beat them out with hammer. Once these are removed you should be able to insert a sawzall (reciprocating saw) blade to cut through the outer sleeve...work slowly to avoid cutting into the frame. Once the sleeve is cut you should be able to use a hammer & chisel to remove. Over-all the removal is a real PITA. For the install...make sure the hole for the bushing is cleaned up nice & the bushing itself is clean & w/o burrs. Find a socket the same OD as the bushing and use a hammer to drive in the bush. Do not beat on the inner sleeve or the rubber, only the outer sleeve. I'm sure there are more than several threads on this subject. Good Luck!

clearcut
10-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Well we got one out. Had to drill out the center. Bolt would not move. Most interesting was that prior owner had cut a bushing in half. Pushed 1/2 of a bushing in from each side. I assume they did not have a frame bushing.

josh

REDrum
10-25-2016, 07:18 PM
There is a good YT video on how to remove frame bushes

cedryck
10-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Google removing frame bushings. There are some good ideas there,

cnfowler
10-26-2016, 08:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6YQT8UV_k

Here's the homemade tool he was using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a2mxp-FxYs