PDA

View Full Version : Swivel ball confusion

Benny78
10-27-2016, 11:38 AM
My "88 is a 1964, according to the title, and I'm a little confused about the swivel balls, because '65 seems to be the change over from "early" to "late".

Apparently, the early swivel ball assemblies had the steering arm come off the top of the assembly, whereas the later ones had it come off the bottom. Mine come off the bottom, which seems to contradict most of the listings I've seen. I've also done a google image search, and have been unable to find a picture of any swivel balls where the steering arm is on top.

Can someone clarify this topic for me?

superstator
10-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Rover wasn't exactly known for hard cutovers from an old design to a "new" one. They probably started building some with the lower steering arm as early as yours and just didn't fully switch over till '65 (if not later). My '67 has the "late" style arm, fwiw.

Is there something you're trying to puzzle out specifically, or are you just curious? The kingpin is different (one piece instead of two), but I think that's about it.

Benny78
10-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Rover wasn't exactly known for hard cutovers from an old design to a "new" one. They probably started building some with the lower steering arm as early as yours and just didn't fully switch over till '65 (if not later). My '67 has the "late" style arm, fwiw.

Is there something you're trying to puzzle out specifically, or are you just curious? The kingpin is different (one piece instead of two), but I think that's about it.

Ok, thanks. I was planning to order the parts to rebuild mine, so I wanted to make sure I was ordering the right parts.

I managed to find a blog that clearly showed the arms on top on a '61, so I'm now confident that mine are the later design.

parrie
10-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Ok, thanks. I was planning to order the parts to rebuild mine, so I wanted to make sure I was ordering the right parts.

I managed to find a blog that clearly showed the arms on top on a '61, so I'm now confident that mine are the later design.

My '61 has the steering arm on top as well. I always thought this was one of the changes from the II to IIa which occurred at this time. Mine is a IIa but it does have some II components as well such as the breakfast apron panel which is flat...IIa has rounded panel.