PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing over whether or not to change out my seats......Ideas?!?!

bls72bmw
11-09-2016, 06:06 PM
AaAaaarrrrrrgggggggg

I always do this- I can't stop thinking about if I should change out the front seat cushions on my 73 SIII. The cushions are all supposedly the original ones, from the 70s.... they are NOT nasty and ripped, but there is just no padding or 'give' left in 'em- and the fact they're original gives me a big ole smile.

IF I replace them what's a good original style replacement- (they're the black cushions with the particle board underseat tray)

Does it hurt the originality for a collector down the road? If they get replaced they will get tossed......I don't have the room to keep them for the next guy when I die.

OR just post up your recriminations for obsessing about something so trivial regarding my Rover......

cedryck
11-10-2016, 07:07 AM
I too have been thinking of changing the interior and look. I have an ex-mod short wheel base so the "appropriate" seats would be flat black squares with no ridges or sides. New ones would be nice, mine are pretty tattered with one or two 80 lb. Staffordshire Terriers frequenting the front and back of my truck, it is literally impossible to go anywhere without the dogs creating a huge protest and fuss about going with me.
I love the look of the Elephant hide, (most expensive $$), and the "custom" with the sides are not what is supposed to be there. Ironically the "custom" (civilian) seats are the least expensive. Right now I have a combination of an old set of civilian seats and flat military style. When the proper time comes I will replace with the Flat Black seats that would appear in most ex-mod trucks.
Having said that,
I think to answer your question that it could not very much (at all) de-value the price of a Landrover. In fact if one was to "upgrade" from black chairs to a nicer Elephant hide, it might increase the value or at least make it more interesting to a buyer. But, most defiantly save the old units if they are in decent shape, take them to a swap meet, or advertise them on Gun's and Rovers and someone might scoop them up,
BUT!!
I do have another option, a friend on the cape, has installed old Volvo seats in the front of his Blue 88. I have two heated Volvo seats that I might fit into my 88 with the original relay for the heated seats,(when disassembling my Volvo 850, I saved all of the wiring and relays and switches that affect the heating elements and wiring for the seats), I feel that Modern comfortable seats that are heated would be cool (but not stock) in a series Rover.
Cheers.

stomper
11-11-2016, 06:23 AM
I had the same question about 5 years ago. I originally wanted to keep the truck stock, but ultimately chose to fit defender seats and a center cubby box.

Do you USE your Rover? I mean, is it a weekend driver and local errand driver, or do you travel 500+ miles to events, off road trail drive, camp, etc? Newer seats are mighty comfortable and very practical when they are used. It detracts from a pristine original look, but that really is only desirable to a certain type of owner/buyer.

In the end, it's your truck, do what you like with it. Many seats are direct bolt in swaps, so you are not bastardizing anything that cannot be undone in the future.

lumpydog
11-11-2016, 08:53 AM
AaAaaarrrrrrgggggggg

I always do this- I can't stop thinking about if I should change out the front seat cushions on my 73 SIII. The cushions are all supposedly the original ones, from the 70s.... they are NOT nasty and ripped, but there is just no padding or 'give' left in 'em- and the fact they're original gives me a big ole smile.

IF I replace them what's a good original style replacement- (they're the black cushions with the particle board underseat tray)

Does it hurt the originality for a collector down the road? If they get replaced they will get tossed......I don't have the room to keep them for the next guy when I die.

I get this post/question - I love keeping as much stock as possible. The original seats could easily be reupholstered with new foam. That would be my first path to look into. My truck's original cushions had long since been replaced by the time I got my hands on it.

Our hosts here offer Exmoor seats (http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=EX11645K&type=3&eq=&key=it) that are great. They mirror the pattern of the originals and look very nice - I replaced my old (exmoor) cushions with new ones. My only complaint with the new Exmoor seats is the manufacturer label they stitch into the front of the back cushion. Like pillow tags, they can be carefully removed with small scissors (don't use a razor blade). The exmoor seats fit nicely and the quality is good. I had to add a small piece of wood to the base of the middle seat to keep it from sliding back/forth a little.

Jim-ME
11-25-2016, 03:16 AM
I went with the first generation Exmoor Trackers although not original they are IMHO far superior in comfort and support compared to the original style seats. Don't know anything about the current Trackers but if I were you I'd look hard at them.
Jim

o2batsea
11-25-2016, 07:37 AM
Defender seats fit. I don't think it changes the value if you don't have original seats. The factory seats don't survive, and even if you do find any the vinyl is usually rotted away along with the foam.
I can't say enough good about Exmoor and RN when it comes to seating. They both went out of their way to make my interior project perfect.